We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

Which Izmir hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
home, sc
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

Hello

I am flying into Izmir on a Saturday afternoon in July and wish to go to these places:

Ephesus, Bergama (Pergamum ), Akhisar

How can I do the route with the least amount of backtracking and end up back

In Izmir as I am flying out of there on Tuesday afternoon

Please let me know can I bus in between these places, although I am really thinking

That some busses might work, and some driving myself might be better..

If I stay the night In a couple of places I think I can maximize my time better

Also I would like to head right out of the Izmir airport when I arrive around noon on Saturday

And see something my first day..

Then, spend the night somewhere on my way to the second destination

We don't mind driving and talking in the car or bus after a nice evening meal

And just sharing all the thoughts of the day before retiring...

Also if you have suggestions on seeing stuff on the way please let us know...

Thank you all

home, sc
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

I guess I should write more clearly what I am hinting to get the specifics..

I think we could go to Bergama after flying into Izmir the first day...

Then since Akhisar is only about 40 miles from there.

We could go there and spend our first night.

Then the next day see Akhisar and travel to Selcuk and so on...

Would that work ?

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

As you only have few days in the region with so much to see, a rental car would offer you much more flexibility and save time. As you are arriving in İzmir I would suggest your best option would be to head to Selçuk first.

However, if you decided against your own transport you could get the train to Selçuk direct from the airport. Full details here: http://www.selcukephesus.com/trains.html

Ephesus is only then a short taxi journey from the station.

It is obviously possible to arrange all your itinerary by public transport - Inter-city bus services here are economical, reliable and comfortable - but your time at all the sites will be limited and there is so much to see in Bergama and Selçuk areas, I would suggest staying one night at each of these locations. And maybe renting a car form the airport may be a better option.

Please let me know if you need any more detailed inforamtion

Edited: 27 May 2014, 15:20
home, sc
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

Thank you for your reply.

As I forgot to mention..

I am flying Atlas jet and they offer free shuttle service to a couple of places..

so maybe I should take the free shuttle to Selcuk as you mention ?

and I can walk and do Ephesus and stay the night,

then where would I go from there..??

it seems like I could rent a car from there ? and maybe drive to the next destination ?

are there any 2 destinations that I could do in one day ?

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

I would take the free Atlasjet shuttle to Selcuk, visit Ephesus, stay the night, and then rent a car for going to the other places.

By public transport you should be able to travel to Bergama via Akhisar in 1 day - bus into Izmir otogar, bus to Akhisar - very frequent, e.g. at least hourly with Soma Seyahat - http://www.somaseyahat.com.tr/

Continue with a Soma Seyahat bus via Soma to Bergama.

home, sc
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

thank you for your response

but, I'm a little confused..??

you said rent a car, but, then you said "By public transport you should be able to travel to Bergama via Akhisar in 1 day - bus into Izmir otogar, bus to Akhisar - very frequent, e.g. at least hourly with Soma Seyahat - http://www.somaseyahat.com.tr"

is this a choice ? or are you saying rent a car and drive to Akhisar and then bus to Bergama the same day

sorry I am a first timer, so I need a little more explanation spelled out for me...

I appreciate the information

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

Yes, it was a choice - rent a car or take the bus. It would a lot easier by car, but possible by bus.

7. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 22:35
8. Re: Izmir Ephesus Bergama Akhisar. Itinerary? Route help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:16