We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Cruise or hotel around Oludeniz

TonyLoco23
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Cruise or hotel around Oludeniz

So me and my wife were thinking of spending a few days down in the Turkish Riviera, most of the stuff we want to see is centered around Fethiye / Oludeniz:

Lycian Rock Tombs

Oludeniz Beach

Butterfly Valley

Kaputas Beach by Kalkan

At first I thought about doing a "Blue Cruise", but when I look at the pictures, the ships look a bit small and cramped. It seems like it might be a bit much to spend 3 days or more cramped up with the same people. What are the sleeping arrangements like?

So I was thinking maybe it would be better to just get a hotel, maybe in Oludeniz or another nice town on a beach and either rent a car or take public transport to visit the sites mentioned.

Does anyone have any experience with the Blue Cruises? Are they worth it? Do they take you to really quite, secluded beaches that are impossible to reach by car/hiking? Are they cramped?

What is more economical? Blue cruise? Or hotels? What is the more efficient way to get around? By car or by Blue Cruise?

Finally are there any other sites that are a must-see that I should add to my list of places to visit?

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Lycian Rock Tombs
Lycian Rock Tombs
828 Reviews
Dalyan, Turkey
Kaputas Beach
Kaputas Beach
2,462 Reviews
Kas, Turkey
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
TonyLoco23
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Cruise or hotel around Oludeniz

bump

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Cruise or hotel around Oludeniz

I suggest you repost this on the Fethiye and Oludeniz forums where more people will see it. I have been to Turkey many times but never on a blue cruise, if you stay in Oludeniz or Hisaronu you will have a simple dolmus ride to Fethiye where the Lycian tombs are, it is a nice town with a castle, amphitheatre and harbour. Also from Oludeniz a dolmus to Kayakoy (ghost village) and a taxi boat (or day cruise) to Butterfly Valley.

Kaputas beach is a bit of a trip, it is only small and can be reached by bus from Fethiye bus station but a not worth a special trip, you might consider tying it in to a trip to Kas which has a number of Lycian tombs and a Greek amphitheatre. You can hire a car but there are also many day trips which can be booked with the local travel agents quite cheaply, even the jeep safaris visit Tlos and some to Xanthos and all go to the Saklikent Gorge, you can even book further, overnight excursions to Ephesus and Pamukkale. They can also arrange private tours.

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Kayakoy
Kayakoy
1,230 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Kaputas Beach
Kaputas Beach
2,462 Reviews
Kas, Turkey
Kas
Kas
Antalya Province, Turkey
Pamukkale
Pamukkale
Denizli Province, Turkey
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Cruise or hotel around Oludeniz

I have made several blue cruises around this area. Personally, I never found the gulets "cramped" - we always had a double cabin with en suite w/c, hand basin and shower (although most of the time we just showered off on deck after the last swim of the day). There is not a lot of storage space so you have to organise your clutter, but compared to the usual modern yachts, the cabins are spacious! However often fellow passengers found them a bit claustophobic at night and preferred to sleep upstairs on the deck under the stars - and others just enjoy doing that anyway!

Quite honestly I suppose as long as I have somewhere to lay my head, I am not bothered. On a cruise you use your room even less than you would do in a hotel - at sea, there is no need for all that "getting ready for dinner" malarkey - you just throw on a t'shirt and shorts or something and you are ready! During the day, there is plenty of room on the deck. There always are enough beds on the front deck for each passenger, or alternatively you can sit in the seating in the stern, where the dining table is normally found.

The itineraries don't usually include beaches - cos there aren't that many in the areas where the gulets sail to - or else in places like Olympus and Olu Deniz, there is usually too much swell to make it comfortable to stop off there. But they do anchor up in quiet small coves which very often you will have entirely to yourselves - and yes, places you would never access from the land. Do not think you can use a cruise to explore places from a to b though - because they seldom go into any marinas other than at the start and end of the cruise because they would have to pay the marina charges. But for a wonderful, relaxed holiday travelling along a most beautiful coastline while being waited on hand and foot with excellent food, normally in the company of pleasant and interesting fellow passengers, spending days when your only problem is whether to bother to continue to read your book or to take a nap bathed by the warm sunny breeze - or to have an Efes beer before or after a swim - if all that sounds good to you, then yes, go for it - a holiday of a lifetime!

4. Re: Blue Cruise or hotel around Oludeniz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 05:16