We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Syrian situation ?????

Which Bodrum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Syrian situation ?????

any possible knock on effects in Turkey regards security due to the worsening situation in Syria?

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Syrian situation ?????

Not that I have heard of Gary - Syria is so far away from Bodrum. There will be more security knock-on effects in the UK due to the Olympics!!

Jak xx

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Syrian situation ?????

Yes, that is right jakkigers. Syria is about 900 kilometers away from Bodrum (as a bird flies) and it is still an internal problem still, very sad though!

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Syrian situation ?????

That was July, what about now it is 3rd October and Syria attacked the border town. Also on looking there are a lot of deliberate hits on tourist areas. I am supposed to be going next week and now it seems a bit worrying.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Syrian situation ?????

<<Also on looking there are a lot of deliberate hits on tourist areas<<<<

I live here in Antalya ( also a long way from the border ) and I have not heard anything like that..where did you read such things..there have been no hits on any tourist areas in Turkey

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Syrian situation ?????

I have not heard or read anything about hits on tourist areas either...Its miles away on the Syrian boarder..Here is a link to todays news..

hurriyetdailynews.com/…

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Syrian situation ?????

Rome is as close to the Bodrum penisula as border area where the trouble has been.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Syrian situation ?????

I have not read anything about tourist areas being targeted ?? As others have said Syria is a long way from the main tourist areas. You should look at a map of Turkey to help you get an idea of just how vast Turkey is.

Go and enjoy your holiday -you are as safe as anywhere else . There have after all been attacks on tourist areas in London, New York, Madrid, and many others so the usual care and attention when travelling should be taken but other than that enjoy your break.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Syrian situation ?????

There are no tourist areas targetted by Syria, for a start Syria is almost 1,000km away and the problem is by the border.

I suggest anyone who is worried does as IrelandLove.. suggests and look at a map. For comparison it is about the distance from London to Rome.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Syrian situation ?????

I think GaryBelfast & Irelandlovetotravel have put it into perspective.

There was scaremongering on the Goa forum after the bombs in Mumbai a few years ago.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Syrian situation ?????

"deliberate hits on tourist areas"

Well, the latest mortar attack landed on Akçakale, just 10 miles from Harran which is a tourist site. But since this is the Bodrum Peninsula forum, I don't think you've got anything to worry about - what's the range of a Syrian mortar?

Get answers to your questions about Bodrum