We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

Which Bodrum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

Hello, I'm looking to include quotes from visitors to, and residents of the Bodrum Peninsula, for a Bodrum Peninsula Travel Guide I'm writing about the area.

At the beginning of the guide I plan on sharing First Impressions and Lasting Memories of the Bodrum Peninsula from people who have visited the area, as a way to whet the readers appetites for the area.

Here's a couple of examples I've already received:

"Sitting on our balcony watching the Turgutreis sunset.The view of Turgutreis town as you come over the brow of the hill , with the backdrop of the islands and the mosque. The hustle and bustle of the market and the spicy smells. People watching on a packed dolmus! The wonderful friendly people. All the beautiful towns and villages dotted around the Bodrum penninsula. The scenery, the call to prayer, Tarkan, mezes, puffy bread....I could go on for hours"

"This was my first foreign holiday, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I enjoyed all the walking about and sightseeing, but the best part of the holiday was a very tranquil boat trip from Bitez. Next time I go back to Bodrum, I'm definitely going on that boat again!"

As you can see, the quote can be about anything (e.g. location, activity, experience etc.). If you'd like to to contribute a quote, I'd be happy to let you know when and where you can download a complimentary copy of my guide when it's published.

thanks.... Jay

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

Hi Jay, what do I think of the Bodrum peninsula? As you know, I love the place - it's diverse, ranging from holiday resorts to out of the way villages. Why do I love it? It's the people, the scenery, the food and so much more. Funnily enough, when I think of the Bodrum peninsula, I can recall all the different smells - the fresh fruit and vegetables in the village markets, the different spices (also in the village markets), the smell of the soap in the hamam, the smell of strong black Turkish coffee, the smell of jasmine as you walk through the back streets of Bodrum and, again, so much more.

Jak xx

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

Knowing that thousands of years of civilization walked upon these same roads over the last three thousand years humbles me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

Thank Jak -- one of my favourite places to visit is any of the markets on the Peninsula. Even if I don't buy anything - just wandering around, surrounded by sights, sounds and aromas is an adventure in itself.

SCBC - so true. There are so many ancient ruins scattered around the local area. It seems that there is a lot more effort and money being applied to renovation, resortation and excavation - which is a really good thing.

Thanks both of you for your quotes.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 18:02
London, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

First time visiting last year. What I loved about the area was that as soon as you traveled away from the main touristy areas, it was like being in a different country! Sounds silly i know -- but just 30 minutes from Bodrum, and you can be in the quiet little bay of Gundogan. Still lots to do, but a completely different atmosphere there.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

The Bodrum Peninsula can be many different holidays in one - a quiet tranquil traditional Turkish resort like Gündoğan , a busy tourist area like Gümbet , the bustling city of Bodrum - beach holiday , sightseeing holiday , away from it all holiday , in the middle of it all holiday - everything you could want in a holiday in one place. Add to that warm hospitable people , great restaurants and shops and glorious sunshine. What's not to like???

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

I echo all that IrelandLovetotravel has just posted,the Bodrum Peninsula is a fabulous are of Turkey :)

Wendy

London, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

Do you have a favourite destination Wendy?

Ireland - I love that it's anything and everything to everyone. Whether you're on an all-inclusive package deal or travelling independently - you can still get off the beaten track, and explore the Peninsula. It's cheap and easy to navigate, and each village and town has it's own vibe and personality.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

Hi RovingJay

The last 2 years we have based ourselves in Torba and are returning again this summer,we have previously stayed in Ortakent,,Turkbuku and Yalikavak..We like Torba as its so tranquil,but only 10 mins on the dolmus to Bodrum for lots more to do if we wish and then return to the peacfullnes of Torba..We also love to get out and about using the dolmus as to see how the area has changed since we first visited that area in 1995..

Wendy

London, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

I can only image the changes since 1995! Must have changed dramatically. I've only been visiting the area since 2008 -- and my little corner of the peninsula (near Gumusluk) keeps changing. Buildings going up, shops opening, roads improving, signposts popping up everywhere.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,682 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you think of the Bodrum Peninsula?

I have been visiting the Bodrum Peninsula since 1991 and there have been a lot of changes since then! I love it there, I can remember when I first went it was the meeting of East and West that I found fascinating, along with the beauty of the country and the hospitality of the locals, that is something that never changes.

Get answers to your questions about Bodrum