We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

XL victim needs help

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
XL victim needs help

Hi, we were due to fly to Sharm El sheik for half term Oct 27th to Nov 3rd, we have had to scrap those plans due to XL going under, needled to say we are gutted. We have however managed to salvage our money by transferring our holiday to the Majesty Tuana Beach Club in Fethiye

Could anyone help with answering the following questions.

The weather, should I pack T shirts and shorts or jeans and jumpers.?

Will we be able to go into the sea, are any of the pools at the hotel heated.?

Is it worth packing the snorkeling gear, can you snorkel from the shore, in the shallows?

We are taking our 10 year old twin daughters who would be happy to spend the week in the pool, but if its too cold what else is there for a family to do?

We would like to visit the rock tombs and Oulos Denize (excuse the spelling) is there anything else of significant interest in the area?

Apparently the hotel has a car hire desk, does anyone know how much we should expect to pay to hire a car for a day or 2?

Whats the best currency to take?

Is there lots of hassle at the shops?

Are you expected to haggle?

Any advice on tipping at the hotel and surrounding area?

What is the village of Fethiye like?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Alison

staffs
Level Contributor
174 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: XL victim needs help

I am also a victim of XL and was due to fly to Sharm early November I found holidays available but as usual the greed of the airlines ment my flight would have doubled so have chosen to bail out I don,t like being ripped off.I have been to Fethiye but not stayed at the hotel you mention. I liked Fethiye it is in a horseshoe and has a lovely small port with lots of cafes more of a town than a village we got a great deal on some new glasses at the opticians. The weather and sea should be warm the sea is lovely like swimming in cream but i didn't see a beach.The sun will go down early so take games or things to do in the evening - you are out of season so many places will be closed. Dress is casual so I would take layers just in case the evening chill a bit. You can catch a bus to Hisarrnous (cant spell) which is very lively at night particularly and lots of hassel. Olu Deniz is also accesable by bus very nice beach in protected area but a long walk lots of small hotel, cafe and restaurants. I would not hire a car as the driving is dreadful and the fatalities are many.

Although you are told to haggle we found the shop owners very abusive if you tried - you are going out of season so they have already made their money. Hope you have a great time.

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: XL victim needs help

Thanks waterbaby, sorry to hear about your holiday, its so disappointing isnt it.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: XL victim needs help

If you're lucky, the weather may still be quite warm - the sea should definitely be warm enough to swim in.

The hotel is in Yaniklar, to the north of Fethiye, which is a town rather than a village, with plenty of shops and restaurants and a large market on Tuesdays.

You don't get any hassle from shops and you can bargain in the market for clothes and the like - but it's worth a visit just to see all the fruit and vegetables brought in from the country. There's also a permanent fish market in the centre of Fethiye where you can buy fish and get it cooked in a local restaurant for next-to-nothing. As the season will be coming to an end, you may get the odd bargain.

Tipping - 10 percent in restaurants, you don't tip taxi drivers.

I disagree with the previous comments about driving and I've driven extensively throughout Turkey. You should be able to rent a car for about 20 GBP per day. This will give you more flexibility to visit many places in the area - Dalyan for the rock tombs, the river and Istuzu Beach; the vast beach at Patara (and ruins); the deserted Greek village in Kayaköyu (a beautiful valley with some great restaurants) which you can pass through on your way to Oludeniz.

You should also take a 12 island boat trip that will bring you around my neck of the woods.

As far as money is concerned, it's best to bring sterling and change it in banks or get money from cash machines - don't bring travellers cheques. I'm sorry, but I don't know whether there are any cash machines in the area of your hotel.

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: XL victim needs help

Hi Dudisimo, thanks for you advice.

In the paragraph you wrote about hiring a car, the places you describe sound fantastic. Would we be able to see them all in one day, or are the distances between them too great? Is it easy to find your way around the area, are the roads clearly marked and are attractions sign posted?

How do we access the lagoon in Oulodeniz, do you have to pay to go onto the beach there?

I have just been looking at your photos, they are stunning, are they taken anywhere near where we are staying?

The 12 island boat trip, is this easy to arrange locally as I often find you get ripped off by reps in the hotel. How much do you think we should pay for this trip?

sorry about all the questions

Alison

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: XL victim needs help

A few answers to the prevıous posts

Weather - very good chance of raın stıll warm ın daytıme and ıt wıll be quite cool at nıght

Hassle vırtually nıl at all the local resorts.

Fethıye ıtself ıs nearer a cıty status than town or vıllage but the part tourısts see gıves the ımpressıon of ıt beıng smaller

As ıts the end of the tourıst season many shops and more so stallholders ın the weekly tuesday market wıll be glad to sell off some of theır stock to get money for next year so bargaıns are there to be found

Boat trıps arrange your own ıs best there wıll be very few boats goıng at that tıme due to the lack of people last year we dıd one wıtyh less than 20 on board. just go down to the marına at about 10-10.30 and see whıch ones are saılıng that day.

Hope you all enjoy the Fethıye area

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: XL victim needs help

re the 12 island boat trip - we went on one which we booked ourselves at the harbour in Fethiye - cost us 20 ytl each (about a tenner) including lunch we had booked a couple of days before but on the actual day I noticed was selling for 17.50 - couldn;t fault it - staff very courteous well organised was on a large boat with a sun deck for sunbathing a plasma screen tv to watch underwater, had several stop offs to swim and snorkel and this particular boat (there are 2 identical - same people run) had a large water slide from top deck into water which your children may enjoy - sorry can't remember name of boats which is why gone into some detail - he was very upfront when we asked about price of drinks and said that's how they make money but they weren't very expensive - about 1.50 gb for soft drinks and coffee and they brought us free magmun icecreams in afternoon about 8 hour trip all in all which included free transfers there and back to hotel

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: XL victim needs help

Hi welsh-lady,

Sorry I haven't answered you before, I've been travelling (or trying to at times) for the past 10 days.

The roads in the area are good these days and well sign-posted. Dalyan and Oludeniz/Kaya/Patara are in opposite directions, so you'd need a car for 2 days - Dalyan is certainly worth a whole day.

As for my photos on TA, some are from around the 12 islands and there are others of Kaya.

I think you've been given plenty of good advice about the 12 island trip.

Hope you have a great time.

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: XL victim needs help

Sorry about your plans being spoiled.. but glad you have a trip to Turkey now to look forward to.

You might enjoy a trip to Kayakoy, which is known as "the ghost town". You can walk amongst all the old desserted ruins, and the kids might enjoy a camel ride which goes from the area just behind the Posiedon Restaurant.

If you wish to dine in Kaya at night. The Levissi Garden Restaurant is wonderful, and they offer a free pick up service from Fethiye.

Do some googling on Kayakoy for further info.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: XL victim needs help

thanks everyone, we cant wait to get to Turkey, it looks lovely in that area.

We are there for Halloween and our kids think it would be a good idea to visit the ghost town on that day. They are convinced that it is populated by real ghosts!

Alison

x

michshell
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: XL victim needs help

Hi Welsh lady....Just wondered if I could pick your brains....I have just booked up to go to Majesty tuana club and park....And I wondered if you could just let me know howyour holiday went and if you did any trips, who you went with??

Thanks...

Mich

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye