We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights around Calis Beach

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sights around Calis Beach

Greetings everyone, and thanks in advance for your help.

I'm going to an appartment in Calis Beach, close to Fethiye at the end of this month, and I was wondering what kind of attractions are available for the area, and which places would you recommend as a day out? We are having a car, and would ideally keep travel times below 1 to 2 hours, but if there's something worth seeing, I'd be interested. What are your experiences on attractions and sights to see in this area of Turkey?

Thanks.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

Hi George, I think Fethiye Fraser is the best person for this information.

However, we've done a few trips:

Saklikent Gorge - not too far, you walk along apath attached to the mountain side & come to a fast flowing river in a very high gorge. You don the rubber shoes & walk through the river - lads will take you by the hand to guide you through the river, not really necessary though, & they will charge you.

Paspatur - the Old Town in Fethiye, is well worth a visit, you get the water taxi from Calis bridge - about half hour's sail. You can also get the dolmus. You need to ask directions to the Paspatur though.

Turkish night at Kayakoy - bookable through local tour ops, Turkish dancers in an old castle open to the sky, includes a meal, good value.

Kayakoy I believe is worth a visit - the old Greek ruined city.

12 islands boat trip is very popular - they usually leave about 10 am from Fethiye waterfront. (best plac to book boat trips) Caunos/mud baths is a good day out - a days' boat trip with swim stops & beach stop.

Gocek (pronounced Goh-chek) is a lovely little yatching resort not far, well worth a visit.

TURKU tented bar on Calis prom - face the sea & walk to the left, keep your eyes open for the red "Turku" sign, its a large tent with plastic sides, you leave your shoes at the entrance & just go in. The cushions are a bit low for me so I grab 2 or 3 to sit on! There are chairs & tables though. Last year they had an incredible Turkish band on, playing Turkish instruments every night. Friday is a good night there.

When are you going?

Best wishes, Dahne-Cool

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

PS About Kayakoy - I'm not sure whether its advisable to drive there - it is a mountain road part the way, with some hair-raising hairpin bends, you can get tours there though.

Dahne

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

The ones Dahne has mentioned would be on my list as well.

A boat trip from Fethiye is a must.

Saklikent - yes to it even getting lost you will only take an hour or so to get there, actually well signposted so no real prob. On your way, look for Yakapark trout farm, nice stop off place for a break, also the Tlos and Xantos ancient sites are on near the same route.

Kaya, another yes, road is IMO interesting rather than teeth marks on the sunvisor. you can go directly from Fethiye over the mountain road, this gives stunning views across Fethiye bay.

A trip down to Olu Deniz, again parking can be a problem, but if you leave the car a few streets back from the beach there may be spaces, but beware of no parking signs, cars disappear on the back of the council truck fairly regularly in the area.

Market days, Sunday for Çaliş, Tuesday for Fethiye.

Also if you go to Fethiye centre, leave the car as parking is a real pain if you do not know where to go.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

Daphne what are you saying, the road to Kaya is safe, we drive that every day and sometimes twice a day, and even I do so!

The one that comes over Hisarönü has 2 pretty sharp bends, but since the road has been widened there it is safe, just do not speed!

The short road that is climbing up from the rock tombs in Fethiye leads you to Kaya as well, that is winding as well, but less sharp.

Nice sites near Calis, max. one hours drive:

Saklikent gorge

Lycian sites: Tlos, Xantos, Pinara, Letoon, Sydima

Beaches besides the Calis one: Dalyan, Ölüdeniz, Patara and very close to Calis is Kargi beach, very quiet with only one wonderful restaurant (Karatas) where they do very good food!

More secluded bays: Gemiler beach near Kayaköy, Butterfly valley (but it is getting busy there!), Kabak

Villages: Kayaköy, Faralya, Üzümlü

In Fethiye: the Tuesday market, the rocktombs, museum, the amphytheatre, the boat yard

Of most sites I have pictures in my stream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody

Wishing you a nice holiday

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

Hi VR, Oh I'm talking Gobbledegook again - must be another road I'm thinking of then.

DAHNE (no P)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

Hi everyone, and thanks for all the help - we will definitely be going to these places. We leave tomorrow around tea-time, so see you all when we get back!

George.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

Have a great time!

8. Re: Sights around Calis Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations