We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calis or Olu Deniz?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Calis or Olu Deniz?

I went to Calis last year whilst on a Jeep Safari and was really impressed by it and the beach, thought it was nicer than the one at Olu as I found it very stony!

Has anyone stayed at both resorts and can give any fors or againsts please and any recomendations for hotels?

Many thanks!

Sami x

Manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

I have been visitng this area for 20 years and in my experience both beaches are shingle rather than sandy.

It's a personal opinion but I would say that Olu Deniz beach is the more beautiful. It perhaps depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for. Olu Deniz has much larger hotels (a number of which are all inclusive). Calis Beach is within easier reach of Fethiye which gives you greater choice for eating out.

If you want a stunning sandy beach, I'd go to Patara.

I'm sure you'd have a good holiday at either.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 16:09
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

I wasn't impressed by Patara Beach, when I went there it was very dirty and full of kite surfers, the beach I liked the best was Iztuzu, it was lovely and sandy and shelved gently out to sea

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

We stayed in Calis 4 years running, but for the last couple of years we've stayed in Olu Deniz. we're returning to OD this year for our 3rd summer. I didn't like the beach at Calis, and in OD I love Sugar Beach.

I prefer the setting of Olu Deniz, it's so breathtaking. The sunsets at Calis are THE best though.

We loved the prom at Calis, and enjoyed walking along at night, choosing where to eat. However, I think I prefer the atmosphere of OD to Calis in the evenings.

It's easy enough to get to Fethiye from both Calis and OD. The water taxi from Calis makes a nice change from the dolmus.

We stayed at the Mendos hotel, right on the sea-front, but Thomas Cook stopped using it 3 or 4 years ago. Forumite Dahne-Cool always stays at the Oykun in Calis, and loves it, as do lots of other TA members.

Why not give Calis a try this year, and see what you think. You can always pop into Olu Deniz if you need a fix.

Old Coulsdon
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

Hi, stayed in Olu Deniz last year and did a water taxi ride after Fethiye market to Calis, was so impressed I have booked to stay in Calis in Oykun hotel for a week with friends. Loved Olu but will look forward to our week in Calis. might even try the paragliding this time!

Loved the Buzz bar in OD but tried the SAT bar on my short visit to Calis and loved that too!!

Both beaches are stoney

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

Wherever I go I'm definitely going to try the Sat bar this time as looks great! x

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

It is like apples and pears, they both have their own charm. Calis is older as a resort, Ölüdeniz developed a bit later, and is more modern. Calis has a promenade, and a stretched not too deep beach. A bit away from Calis (around the corner behing the surf place), where it is called Koca Calis you are at the beach where more locals go. There are 4 or 5 restaurant (Mutlu, Garden Beach, Birlik and a few more) with are surprisingly good food for lunch or dinner. And still further there is Kargi with Karatas, the most deserted but mixed sandy and pebbly beach. Ölüdeniz is to my opinion more mondain, but no high rise either, so for both places I think they are charming. And as said above, the sunset at Calis is stunning!

Maybe weird, but my choice goes to Koca Calis for lunch and if I like to enjoy a nice loungy evening then I am off to Ölüdeniz! Good luck!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

Oops, forgot to mention; go to Sat for sunday morning breakfast!

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

Personally we like Calis Beach better.

Last year we went to Olu Deniz twice,one of the times

at the blue lagoon in the national park.

We found the beach to stoney, & liked the shingle beach

of Calis beach better.

We have used the Sat bar alot, for full days & evening meals,

but found last year the beach club bar at the other end of

Calis beach.

The dolmus goes right into the beach bar area, mats & sand

have been laid on the beach, also using artifictial grass mats,

the area is very good. The prices of drink / food were o/k.

We found this better than sats.

Leeds England
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

I think you will probably get a bit more of the "authentic" Turkey in Calis as Olu Deniz has pretty much been purpose built for the tourists. Beach wise we preferred Olu to Calis as it was a lot cleaner and there is a nice (if short) promenade behind it too. Nightlife is certainly more up - tempo in Olu but if you jump on Dolmus or water taxi to Fethiye from Calis then there is more choice. My vote overall goes to Olu Deniz mainly because of the nightlife.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz?

Hi Chill! Good choice! We've stayed at the Oykun 3 times now, & could not find cause for complaint. We booked a double room as we wanted a double bed, & they took us to a huge smart room with 2 singles pushed together, covered in one enormous set of sheets! It was brilliant as we had all that bed space, & still loads of space in the room. Big wardrobe in the hall, coat-hangers a-plenty, little settee, puffy pillows, balcony, brilliant shower in the new block - the older block has baths with showers over. 3 pools, Great open-sided restaurant with good bar, & plenty of sunbeds & sitting areas. I've stayed at hotels in many countries & none topped the Oykun. The lads who work there are all lovely & friendly , & always remember us. Say hello to Freddie the barman, Vesel, Teddy, Oykun & father Oykun for us. Please tell them DEBBBIE & EDDIE SAY HELLO I'm green with envy as we're not going this year.

Sat beach club at the end of the prom is brilliant (free admission) The water taxi to Fethiye is a lovely relaxing half hour sail.

Good luck, Dahne

Edited: 15 January 2011, 00:03
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations