We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back to reality - April 2011

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Back to reality - April 2011

That's me back in the UK again for a short while

Flights were by Mr Thomas Cook, Glasgow to Dalaman – booked as two separate one way flights as this saved a bit of money, can never understand how they decide on their price structure, and how it is sometimes cheaper to book separate one way flights – but long may it continue.

Transfer to Fethiye on the way out was by my already often recommended friends at Tiny Akropol, and on the return I simply hopped on a Dalaman coach from the Fethiye Otogar and got a taxi at the other end for the airport, fares there have jumped from 24 to 35 Lira in 3 months

4 weeks this time - and the weather was pretty good for April, as regulars will know it can be a very mixed up month - rained 5 times in 28 days, once all night and the other times only for the odd hour or so, but there were a good few days that the sun was behind fairly thick clouds for a while.

Most days mid 20's, highest i saw was 28 Deg and coolest was 17 deg at near enough midnight, so reasonable enough.

TA meet ups, still went unrecognised during my visit, missed out on many of the regulars who were over at the same time.

But did manage to meet up with a few old friends again,

VR and family always a pleasure to see, and met up with CosyCarol a couple of times - my can she shop............

Yavuz48 - I now know what the 48 is for yavuz,

mauitara - although this was only a phone call rather than a meet up, and she said, I had a funny accent - never

And a special thanks to Alex_Andraya for the meet at the Tuesday market, lovely couple.

This visit was a sort of working one, as gettinga new house habitable, its not a wreck - its just been empty for a couple of years, but added to the fun and enjoyment of it, heres a couple of examples

"It can only happen in Turkey"

1/ New hob did not fit in hole cut in marble worktop - so round to local DIY store to price angle grinder, bit expensive i said - well said manager, you buy this cutting disc for 1 lira and you can borrow my one, he's getting all my future business.

2/ Grass weeds etc have been growing unchecked for a couple of years, so bought a nice little scythe to cut them back, but never got round to it, as near neighbour appearred one day with his family and started cutting it all down, and making a very tidy job of it, I tried to ask how much he wanted for doing the job, but he did not want paid, he wanted the grass to feed his cow.

Wildlife, usual update of what I saw.

Mozzie sightings – not many

Mozzie stings – 1 well I think it was a mozzie, but it may have been a spider

Fly bites – Nil

Bats – we are in the process of moving house, and I was really happy to find that we are still being kept company at night by loads of them at the new place.

Flying beasties, – very very few bees or wasps,

Lizard – starting to appear now that its warming up

Ants –absolutely millions, little mole hill type piles of dust in many places where they are coming out of the ground

Pelicans - I think they must be on holiday

Turtles – Nil.

Tortoise - just 1 but it was a biggy

Birds – still have not bought a decent book to identify all the pretty ones I keep seeing.

Backgammon. - Never had a game this time

Roll on the next visit.

Dumfries and...
Level Contributor
404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back to reality - April 2011

Hello FF

Are you over in September ? Would be nice to have a small shandy and a gab. May see you at the market.

Level Contributor
1,451 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back to reality - April 2011

Well, FF............8 more sleeps for you, I think, til your next visit.

8 more weeks for me!

If you're over at the same time, it would be great if we could meet up. Would love to put a face to the name.

Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back to reality - April 2011

Next time you're over, FF, you can laugh at my hillbilly accent, but we must meet! Just to make you feel good, the number of bats in your area is an indication of a healthy environment - lots of bats mean they are eating lots of insects, which means all is well in your part of the world. I was down by Cafe Genis the other day and saw two turtles swimming together right next to the 12-islands boats. Only in Turkey!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back to reality - April 2011

Whens the house warming FF

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back to reality - April 2011

Bobbie - House warming will be advised nearer the time, but expected to be 12-14th May.

Now you have to find the address......................

mauitara - hillbilly - I like that, agreed about the bats comment,

I'm all for natural predators to get rid of the few nasty critturs that are about.

bats, lizards, frogs and there like are always welcome.

6. Re: Back to reality - April 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 23:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor