We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back home at last!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Back home at last!

Arrived home at 4am on Friday morning and after a few hours sleep went to our caravan in beautiful Teesdale.

Where do I start?

The hotel was excellent with great staff.We were in the old block on the ground floor facing the pool and the furniture was modern as was the bathroom fittings especially the bath which looked new.,everything about it was first class apart from the "music"played by the young barman.

It started some mornings at 9.30am and all we could hear was thump thump as the base was turned so high.

I asked him to turn the base down but he said it was Turkish music.

I then asked Goldie who turned it off but when her back was turned it was back again.

I then asked Mrs Oykun who also turned it off but when they werent around it started again.

Because of this we spent a lot of time out of the hotel.

Baby girl Oykun is due to make her appearance at the end of September/beginning of October and she will be thoroughly spoilt by all the guests.

While I was there I had a cough and thought it was something picked up on the plane but discovered lots of folk having allergic reactions to something.

It eased when we were on the beach or in Fethiye so not sure what caused it but there were lots of vegetation on waste ground next to the hotel and around the resort which some folk suggested may be the cause.

There was a lorry spraying chemicals into the air to kill the mosquitoes so maybe this caused the allergic reactions

On the first day I decided to have my 1st Turkish bath in the hitel despite going to Turkey for 22 years.

I asked for the lady as I thought she would be more gentle.

How wrong was I?She was brilliant and I couldnt believe the amount of skin she removed!All for 24 TL.

We then went to exchange some money at the recommended shop where my husband decided to change £200 despite having plenty of lira for a few days.

The man counted the money twice but after he handed it too my husband he started to count it .I was embarrassed as the man had already counted it twice.

After my husband finished counting it the man put 20 TL on the counter!Needless to say after this we changed sterling at the hotel which had the best rate anyway of 2.85tl.

My husband asked him to fix the catch on his chain but when we went back for it the next day he sent a girl down the street to pick it up.We thought it would be done there.

We ate in a different restaurant every night and all meals were excellent.I will do a separate thread and give prices etc.

We spent most days at the beach clubs and were surprised that Sat club food was cheaper than Surf club but because Sat club had speakers on all the trees and poles I preferred Surf club for the peace and quiet.

I thought the main beach was really awful and not many people were using the beds which were 15tl for 2 beds and a rickety wicker shade which really wouldnt have offered protection form the sun for 2 people.

We walked along the front several times during the day and evening and the people in front of the restaurants stopped us to ask us where we were going to eat.I had made a list before we went so showed them this and said if they were on my list I would be back.

We walked to the market twice taking different routes each time as I was trying to find an apartment that someone I know is coming to later in the year.

I was surprised at the amount of rubbish lying on waste ground and the dustbins were empty with rubbish piled up outside them.

We saw 2 ladies picking up the rubbish and putting it in the empty bins.

Apart from the main street and sea front I though a lot of the resort didnt look ready for the season so maybe as the weeks go on it will be tidier.

I am sorry to be negative but its not what I was expecting.

I thought the area around the hotel was a bit scruffy especially the flats opposite.Their entrance had broken glass which was boarded up.

I must give praise to the wonderful Ces supermarket opposite the hotel who sold everything but the kitchen sink!

He must have the cheapest water in Turkey.5lt for 1.50tl.

I bought his entire stock of menthol sweets then started on the lemon ones!

We loved Fethiye and spent lots of time there and the new waterfront promenade is looking lovely.

I am now looking forward to our next holiday in July to the Austrian Tyrol.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back home at last!

Hi knitter,,

Thanks for the good honest review of your holiday,never been to Calis,have done Fethiye for the odd day when we have stayed in Olu and Hisaronu..

Enjoy your next holiday :)

We will be in Torba on Bodrum peninsula in just under 3 weeks..

WENDY

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back home at last!

Enjoy your holiday Wendy.

Torba is lovely we dropped people off there a few years ago.

As you know I love Icmeler and cant help compare other places with there.

Rhodes last May and Calis this year.

No more "for a change" it will be Icmeler all the way especially after seeing all the photos of the new square etc.

Turkey is too hot for us now until later in the year so we look forward to a trip to Austria in July which is just right weather wise.

cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back home at last!

Hi Knitter,

I am also just returned from the Oykun and it was excellent.

As for Calis i agree with everything you have said , having been before some of the newer places didnt look ready and Calis looked very scruffy indeed .

A great shame as the people were as friendly as ever.

I had a day out in Olu Deniz and was quite suprised how much cleaner / tidier it was.

Calis council need to up their game considerably.

Just one mention on food most was good but the new comer Barbella was outstanding for value , quality and welcome.

Plus 10tl for soup,fish and chips, large basket of bread with butter all excellent quality.

ian

PS is icmeler nice knitter if so where do you stay

cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back home at last!

Forgot to say ,

Found the young barman to be very efficient , made us very welcome and went the extra mile .

Didnt hear his music but the i was out most days.

The oykun turkish evening was excellent value for 27tl as much as you could eat 3 times over. Presently surprised cos bin b4 and it was poor value , but not this time had a great night. 100 people attended

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back home at last!

Thanks, Knitter, for a good, honest review of Calis.

I agree that the main beach lets Calis down. We stayed in Calis 4 years running, but we much prefer Olu Deniz. This year will be our 4th visit there. Did you manage to get there to have a look?

We haven't been to Icmeler since our very 1st trip to Turkey in 1987, other than a trip to the Market around 2000 when we stayed in Selimiye. It seemed huge to us then, compared to our 1 st visit!

the important thing is that you tried somewhere different, and mow you know that Icmeler is the place for you.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back home at last!

I have tryed nearly all the resorts now apart from Kalkan ,Kas and the Lara beach area and I like Icmeler the best.

It is extremely scenic and has had lots of improvements made over the last couple of years including a new prom which was just renewed in 2007.

I didnt particularly like the changes but after looking at the photos printed on Icmeleronline and Holiday truths it certainly looks beautiful.

The village roads are all now block paved and there is no waste land with rubbish dumped on it.

All the waste land was turned into a small childrens play areas with swings and seats.Have a look on Google earth.

When we first went we stayed at the Aqua on the sea front and over the years have gone back a street each year until last year we stayed in the village at the Senem apartments which was excellent.Surrounded by stunning scenery and locals going about there every day tasks.

I never get sick of the place and although bigger than Calis its easy to get around.

I have also read the council have now told the beach boys working in the bars NOT to charge for the sunbeds which were only 5tl for 2 and a shade.

Cheshire we were in room 1103 in the old block and I probably sat beside you at breakfast.

Now if I could move the hotel to the village of Icmeler that would be Paradise!

Openwide we didnt get to Olu although we stayed there in 2005 at the Sun City hotel..People we spoke to visited Hisaronu and said how clean and smart they thought the place looked in comparison to Calis.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 21:24
rotherham
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back home at last!

Hi knitter

Yes i can understand why you like Icmeler but we have not been there for about 6 years looking on the webcam on the beachfront and the sqaure totaly diferant from when we was last there looking vey nice..Was thinking of going back to Marmaris next year but like the look of Icmeler now :)

Yes looking forward to Torba going back in the same hotel as we went in last year..We have been going on the Bodrum Peninsula to the smaller resorts for the last few years,ready for a change next year...

WENDY

cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back home at last!

Hi Knitter,

You dont know how close you were i was room 1108

Usually had breakfast about 8-15 . on this ocassion i took my cousin with me for a treat on his 75 birthday.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back home at last!

You must have been opposite us!

We are both tall and usually had breakfast around 9am and always seemed to get a table near the buffet.

cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back home at last!

Hi ,

May have just missed you at breakfast cos we also sat near buffet, but were usually out of there for nine

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations