We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
321 reviews
Save Topic
Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

The speculative voice of charging for overweight passengers on flights, has come around again.

A Norwegian economist has suggested a "Pay as you weigh" pricing, & follow other transport sectors & charge by space & weight.

He put forward 3 types of pricing -

1 / Charge passengers to how much they & their luggage weighed, setting a rate for kg per passenger. So someone weighing 59kgs ( 130lbs ), would pay half the rate of a 118kgs ( 260lb) person.

2 / Use a fixed base rate, with a extra charge for heavier passengers to cover extra costs, this would mean every passenger would have a different fare.

3 / The economist preference is -

Same charge to a averaged weight person, a discount or extra charge would be used, if the passenger was above or below a certain limit.

This would mean 3 kinds of fares - High / Average / Low

Would this mean we will all have to get to the airport even earlier, we all would then be weighed with our luggage.

Would it mean then everybody as to watch what they eat & drink abroad, tell kids they aren't allowed junk food & ice cream in the A/Inclusive holidays, in case they put weight on, when coming back, would the airlines do luggage / person weighing scales, would someone have to work out how the weight distribution is then spread out on the aircraft, like a lorry driver distributing his load weight on a lorry, for when taking off & landing. !

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

I bet airline's have a few ideas in place ready to trial this, another way to screw money out of the customer like seating charges to sit together. Similar to banks wanting to levy current account charges, no big airline dare 'jump' first.Maybe one idea could be declaring your weight at the point of booking and like Yorkie mentions there could be 3 separate tariffs..Then weigh you at the airport to verify. My view is that it would be too personal for some passengers, and a charge difficult to impliment.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

Samoa Air,the pacific national airline are the first to bring in the fly & pay by weight airline.

The airline allows the passenger(s) to nominate their weight when booking flights, then when the passenger goes to the airport, they are weighed on scales, to see if their estimation was correct.

They are saying you pay by kilo for flights, so pay for any weight over their estimation. !

So the trend could catch on. !

Edited: 15 April 2013, 00:03
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

If this comes in over here I will be making the family diet like a jockey the days before a flight!Leeds Bradford airport would look like a boxers weigh-in too.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

This airline have said they have no intention of reviewing their current pricing policy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJxzDYJ4C3Y

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

LancasterLad, that's our first class airline, love fish & chips in paper. !

If the weight of passengers comes in, gonna send me & our lass by air mail, big carboard box with our heads out.

Thing is though with this weighing you & your luggage, some people have been buying those special coats with pockets in, & putting stuff in the pockets, so having one of the coats will be no good, as they will proberly weigh a person with their coat on.

Wait a minute got a idea, if people get their heads together, say travelling with friends, 2 people go to check in, leaving some gear with their friends, then when checked in & weighed, second couple go to the check in desk, after giving some stuff to the first couple.

I thought there had to be a idea to beat this. !

Yorkie !

cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

Hi Yorkie,

Airbus are doing a trial , the aisle seat made larger 2 accommodate larger people , then airlines will charge them more.

The window seat to be smaller , but you wont get a cost reduction.

If the manufacturers are running these trials it will only be a matter of time before something is implemented.

I once flew with KLM on a business trip and they off loaded 6 people because there was 2 much weight on the plane for the allotted fuel ???

I can see this practice been applied as well if they dont do something about the increasing weight issue.

ian

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

Ithink SamoaAir alreadydoes this

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

Hi Mauitara,

I said in my second post that Samoa Airlines already doing this . ! Lol !

Arundel, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

What a good idea!

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overweight Passenger Flight Charges. !

That's in my little black book now SussexShelley. !

Always looking to beat the penny pinching tour operators !

Yorkie !

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye