We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

A question for the locals I think. We have been holidaying in Turkey for 6 years now and would be interested in taking a boat trip that doesnt go to the usual tourist spots. I have looked and there are gulet holiday boats that go in the direction of Tomb Bay Manastir Bay Haman Bay etc, but dont really have a sense of how far apart these places are. Could you visit these places on a day trip, Im guessing that the trip would start from Gocek, but any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

For a less touristy trip book a place on the Çalış co-operative.

These tend to take a different route and the quality of the boats and the food are much better than the standard day trips.

Costs are slightly more but well worth it.

İf you are feeling flush do a private hire for around 300/350 lira for the day and get a few friends with you.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

FF

can you please tell me where do we find the Calis co operative to book a trip and are they the ones doing the private hire too

thanks

Maria

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

This is the company that runs the Çalış taxi boat, bookings can be made at their stance at either end of that route.

For those not staying nearby - any tour company will do the booking for you.

and yes they do private hire, booked one last week for a day out, best trip any of us had ever done, even the dog enjoyed it.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

FF that private trip sounds great

How long was the day trip? (sounds a bit stupid but you know what i mean !)

Where did you go and was food included? Shame we cant bring the dog with us !

Would really be interested in doing that but theres only 4 of us so might be a bit on the extravagant side

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

Hi Maria L , just worked out if you cud get 8 passengers it works at at just over £15 each the same as we paid to go on Jerryboat earlier this year.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

FF would you mind telling us the name of the boat which you hired? Thanks

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

We use Erman's boat for private boat trips, the name is Blue Sea and is family run. Really a lovely family. The price depends a bit on the occupation. We have send quite a lot of people with him and when they return they always ask for another trip with him. He usually stays away from the bays where the big boats anchor, so it is always more quite. Of course the more you ask for the higher the price will be, especially if you like to sail further away to more remote bays. A lovely lunch is prepared too.

A full day trip starts from 350,00 TL

Good luck!

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

oops forgot the boat name - but it was No 20 on the cooperatives list and run by the same lad that has the Keyif cafe on Çalış seafront.

route taken was around the Letoonia/Hillside peninsular and like the one VR mentioned uses small bays that are not used by the larger boats.

Meals on board all the small private boats are restaurant class, our trip had the best spread any of us had seen and considering the cost of the trip averaged out at 35 lira each - the meal was worth near that on its own.

For folk like Maria L you can still do the same trip by simply booking as an excursion, but you cannot be sure how many others will book for the same day - but the total passangers they take still leaves a reasonable amount of room for everyone, and meals are still really good.

Drink prices on most boats are slightly higher than the cheaper places ashore, but still very reasonable.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

The other half was gojng to buy me a piece of jewellery when we are over but i think i would prefer splashing out out on the private boat trip instead

Good idea do you think?

plus if it works out at £15 per person for 8, its not really that expensive if we have to pay £30 each for the 4 of us, Sounds well worth it and after the year from hell we have just had we deserve it too even though i say so myself

Could even squeeze a cheaper piece of jewellery in as well

Any reccomendations for good jeweller ??? ha ha

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative boat trip - fed up of the usual tourist trips!!

There is one string attached on Kooperative boats, they work like taxi's, on turn, so they normally cannot get out of the queue. But paying a bit more and it seems to work sometimes.

And for the good jeweler; there is a very kind one, just a small shop in Paspatur that has just changed its name so İ cannot remember well, but if you know Paspatur it is an orange/green colored shop on the corner opposite the only cash machine that is not on the main road but inside Paspatur. Walk into the old town from the alley opposite the entry of the big car park, then it is on the first right hand facing corner. The owners name is Ömer. You will find prices is smaller shops much more reasonable than in the big shiny shops.

Hope that works :-)

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye