We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

Hi everyone, We are staying in carrette apartments for 5 nights at the end of August with 2 little ones. We will have a car. Looking for recommendations on

1. Places that have lively turkish music (and dancing maybe) that will allow kids

2. Turkish bath. Great experience reasonable prices. Can we take kids? We could also go on different days if kids are not allowed

3. Reasonably priced places to eat around the area.

4. Any play grounds etc.,

5. Boat trips

6. Nargile Bars/Hookah places

7. Any other ideas for uniquely turkish experiences

I heard about the turtle sanctuary in Calis. Can someone please point me to how we can get there.

Are there any mud baths around Fethiye area. Or Is Dalyan the best place for those. If we drive to dalyan, which is the best place to o for this - Sultaniye?

Any tips on how to escape the crowds.

Thanks to all in advance.

boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

Hi everyone, We are also looking recommendtaions on car rental places. How much can we expect to pay?

Is it recommended to rent a diesel car/Jeep?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,811 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

O.K. To start with kids are welcomed everywhere and Turkish people love children, you will not be stopped from bringing them anywhere in the Fethiye/Calis area.

If you want a Turkish night with music and dancing, try the Yoruk Tents in Calis Beach. Traditional Turkish music and dancing in tents. turkeysforlife.com/2012/09/turkish-music-cal…

Also the Guitar Bar in Calis is fun. In an old village square with a duck pond in the middle (real ducks). Turkish Food and musicians every night. They will put a tambourine on your table to join in the fun

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g298031-…

Turkish Baths. There are a few in Calis Beach one is in the Okyun Hotel and is very good, another is a stand alone baths The Sultans Hamam also the Nevada Hotel has a Turkish Baths, they would have no objection to you having children with you. There are also Turkish Baths in Paspatur in Fethiye (The old town) and Ata Park Hotel.

Everywhere is reasonable priced to eat. The Mozaik Bahce in Fethiye is No.1 in Fethiye and is traditional Turkish Food and is a great place to eat at really good prices. All the prom restaurants in Calis will give you wonderful views and the best sunset in Turkey, also all reasonable priced. Daniel Craig filmed "Skyfall" on Calis Beach. Go to the Surf Cafe for all water sports including Kite Surfing.http://www.fethiyesurfcenter.com/ Good places to eat are the Kings Garden up in the Rock Tombs in Fethiye fabulous views and they will pick up you up and drop you back for free, Children welcome http://www.kingsgardenrestaurant.net/english/ Free entry to rock tombs also. Book online if you wish. Saturday is a good night as they have entertainment. Also the Sundial in Fethiye, breathtaking views, you can spend the day at the pool and eat in the evenings or just go in the evening. They will also pick up free. Tip, do not change website to English before you look at the wonderful pictures. http://www.sundialotel.com/

Lots of boat trips. Calis Beach you can ask at the water taxis. They do boat trips. Fethiye you can walk along the Marina and just ask. Jerry Boat is very popular as it's not overcrowded, does not play loud music and you fish and cook the fish you catch, also you go swimming. Jerry's wife does the cooking.

http://www.jerryboat.com/

The Turtles lay eggs in September. However, you see them in the water in Fethiye and Calis all the time. Also you may see the dolphins. Get the water taxi from Calis to Fethiye costs 5 lira takes 35 minutes and is a mini cruise, the children will love it.

Nargile pipes in lots of restaurants and bars. Look in the old town in Fethiye which is called Paspatur, lots of Nargile pipes there.

We have hired our cars for the last six years from Fethiye Lovers, can thoroughly recommend them. Newish cars with a bit of power.

Do not hire jeeps they are dusty hot and not comfortable, also you have a safety issue when parking. Get a nice air conditioned saloon car. http://fethiyelovers.com/

Mud Baths are in Daylan, you can book a trip in Calis if you want to go.

I would advise a trip to Saklikent Gorge and Tlos also call in at Yaka Park, lovely place in the mountains where they have a trout farm, the baby trout swim along the bar. Sit at traditonal Turkish low tables and have the freshest BBQ ever. Also if you stay in the freezing cold water for 15 minutes get a free lunch.

For parks go to the Marina at Fethiye, There is a brand new park area which is lovely.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
23 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

Going to calis in 3weeks time can anyone give advice on the following

Price of food and drink. Some sites are saying its very expensive now to eat and drink here

Changing money seems to have conflicting reports some Say change money here others say take English and change over there in the bars and resteraunt

Any advice appreciated

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

I was in Calis just last week. Prices seemed very reasonable to me, compared with Istanbul or some other resorts. (Joseph's Bar 50 Cl draught Efes = 6 TL = that's very good.) Bottles of wine are very expensive now. Look in KIPA (that's Tesco btw) and you may find some bargains to take back to your mini-bar (hidden). I found Cankaya (white) and Lale (rose) at just under 20 TL a bottle in KIPA. Sad to say, that is very cheap here now.

There were many lively bars on the same street leading into Calis, and a number of exchange places displaying their rate in very large letters. Definitely change your cash there in Calis / Fethiye, not in UK. Or use a UK bank debit card - accepted everywhere, even for the smallest purchases (but your bank will charge, I suspect).

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,811 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

Not expensive at all. Will be in Calis myself at the beginning of September and I know prices, as always will be really good to eat out. I think you will be very surprised just how reasonable and just how good the food is.

Bring a little Turkish money with you to start off and change Sterling in Turkey you will get a better rate. In Calis there is a Change Office, but the Jewellery Shops offer a better rate. Go into Fethiye and use the Banks as you will get a slightly better rate.

There is a Forum specially for Calis. I would advise you go there for lot and lots of really good information.

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/

boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

Thank you Frances-Jane for all your recommendations. Strangely I did not get a notification about this message and I posted a similar question again. I apologize for that..not sure how to remove it.

Can you also please recommend a traditional turkish night place that does the folk dances, whirling dervishes,belly dancing etc., I heard somewhere in kayakoy but where and how do we book?

Edited: 26 August 2013, 23:17
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,811 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

If you want to delete your other posting just click into "Report Inappropriate content" and use the drop down menu and you will find a facility to delete your own posting.

The Yoruk tents in Fethiye will give you a god Turkish night. There are also a lot of restaurants/bars along the prom at Fethiye that have traditional Turkish music on. Also restaurants in Kayakoy. If you post a private message to Villa Rhapsody she will let you know about Kakakoy as she has an Hotel there. Lots of bars and restaurants all around Fethiye and Calis have Nargile (hooka pipes). They are not hard to find. Quite a lot in Fethiye around Paspatur. The Mozaik Bahce have them too.

Need to be careful of Belly Dancing nights. A lot of places advertise them. We made the mistake of going to one and it was not what we expected. A very large chested girl danced around, shaking her chest, eventually pulling men from the audience and getting them to strip off their tops and put on costume and dance with her, then she went around getting men to put money down her costume. So, make sure, if you book you get a more traditional belly dancer. I know the Kings Garden have a Belly Dancer on once per week and they do pick up and drop off for free.

8. Re: Eating And entertaining a family in Fethiye/Calis area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations