We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

We will be taking the day ferry over to Rhodes on 10/4 and would like some help and tips for our day.

How much to private taxi drivers cost?

How much would a car rental cost? (is this option advised)

Is there one particular company to book our ferry tix w/?

Interests:

FOOD

Ruins

Wine/Honey

Any suggestions for a day itinerary?

(I posted this in the Rhodes forum, still waiting on responses)

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

Hello Rey,

a day trip to Rhodes is really lovely, but just to see the old town. You will not have enough time for a rental car to explore more of the island, then you should stay one more day at least.

So you actually also do not need a taxi, as you can walk to the old town from the harbor. As you come from the Hydrofoil or catamaran, you walk to the right and soon you will see your first possible arched entry into the old town. There are loads a lovely narrow allays to explore and plenty of museums too. Or you split up your time to explore a bit of the new town, at lunchtime make your way towards to old town, have a lunch and you will regret you have to return so soon back to the ferry.

My favorite place to eat in the old town is Ta Kioupia, and yes we do make day trips just to be able to have something to eat here. Not the regular giros souflaki kind of food, but really fantastic tapas kind of dishes and a sweet made with mastika. İ can't wait to get there end of October myself :-)

Honey... yes, oregano honey, but Fethiye sells a better honey, from pine trees (Cam Bal) this honey is less sweet and thicker

Book online with Yesil Dalyan!

Good luck!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

İ forgot to mention, Ta Kioupia is near the old Hamam, follow the signs from the main pedestrian road, and you find the restaurant just a bit more up, you are sort of facing it as you walk up.

And here is a pretty good map:

www.planetware.com/map/rhodes-map-gr-rho.htm

Cheers!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

Will we have time or be able to see any of the ruins?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

And Ty for putting it all in perspective!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

İf you mean the old town with the museums, yes you have time for that!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,936 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

It's very easy to walk off the ferry and straight into the old town through the archway. Walk right to the top and you will be at the ruins. No need for cars or taxis. We did hire a car when we stayed over so we could see the isalnd and go to Lindos,, but you will not have the time and as V.R. says you will see everything you want to in the time you have.

I would recommend Rustco Restaurant it's in the old town at the very top if you are facing the ruins just go to the left it and it's at the back of the big dome. It's a great traditional restaurant. We went once and got a free drink, twice and we got vouchers for their shop over the road and a free drink.. We only stayed over two days and when we left we called in for lunch, they gave us two bottles of wine and they also took our address and sent us a Christmas Card.

Lovely food in great surroundings.

Website http://www.rustico.gr/

Remember there are more ruins in Turkey than Greece.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 17:13
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

We spent 2 weeks in Rhodes and explored a lot of sites but as FJ says, there are more ruins in Turkey than Rhodes, if you only have a day visit, exploring Rhodes medieval town will more than fill it, an amazing experience, we wandered every single lane and alleyway and at night it is magical.

Set in a public park on Monte Smith, a hill on the outskirts of the town, the Acropolis of Rhodes is OK, it has an impressive stadium but not really worth making a special journey when time is limited. At the very top of the hill we found the Temple of Apollo set amongst some other ruins. Most of the ruins were unmarked and the mismatched pillars with a lump of frieze stuck on the top looked a child had erected it, we were not impressed.

discover-rhodes.com/featured/…

The ruins on the west coast Monolithos and Kamiros are impossible to get to by public transport, on the east Archangelos has a fortress and if you are there for longer, Lindos with its acropolis is worth a look but it is ridiculously busy (we went Sunday when the trips don't!).

Cardiff
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

Hiya could anyone tell me how much it cost to get to Rhodes and how and where to book for a day trip xx

Cardiff
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

Hi could anyone tell me how much the ferry costs also how and where to book it from??

Edited: 17 August 2013, 07:15
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A lil help with our one day itinerary to Rhodes...

You can book direct with the ferry company, the price is on the website:

www.yesildalyantravel.com/en/rhodes-cruise

Enjoy, it is a lovely trip!

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye