We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

As it has been my intention of booking a holiday for Olu Deniz , my hubby is concerned about the civil unrest in Turkey! is this affecting Fethiye and surrounding areas? thanks in advance

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

simple and short answer - no.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

The short answer is no.

The slightly longer answer is that no,the Gezi hoo-haa had a few folks out banging saucepans together in some places around the country but that was all and is long over now.

If you ask has it affected the resorts negatively then sadly the answer is probably yes,in that some have been quieter than usual this year.Due to the usual and predictable anti-Turkish slant of the western media who portrayed the situation as being far worse than it was many have perceived Turkey to be a dangerous country-which it ain't-and have stayed away this summer.

Probably the most dangerous thing in Ölü Deniz is jumping off Babdağ or even the drive up there :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

Right reason or none, I am still planning on going!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

I second that No... The Oludeniz Forum on T.A. seems to be overflowing with people who are going or have come back having had a great time.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

Of course you could tell your husband it is iffy for men ....and leave him at home ....on second thoughts no,you need someone to carry the shopping for you :)

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

Statistically, Dunfermline is a far more dangerous place for the average visitor than anywhere in the Turkish Aegean / Med area. Your hubby would be braver to stay at home.

I've lost that link to the crime stats, but Scotland sounds pretty alarming (along with NZ, btw)

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

I should add that, in any case, the protesters involved in the "civil unrest" are all pro-Western, educated, working / middle class.

There has never been any threat whatsoever to tourists or foreigners.

There is also no more anti-American feeling around than you might find in a London pub if you speak loudly in a brash accent. (That's for cross-the-pond lurkers.)

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

Civil unrest? If you are talking about the Gezi park park protests that was over months ago. Don't worry, you will have a great time :)

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

No. Simple as that. Sarikananya and FF have it nailed.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 23:38
10. Re: Is the civil unrest affecting the resorts in Turkey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye