We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
304 reviews
Save Topic
Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Some of our friends visited the Mangal in June this year, finding a lot of staff had left from the previous year, so the restaurant had wavered a bit.

But glad to say the original chef from last year etc, was back in attendance, & the food was of a high standard, being we ate twice in the restaurant.

We took notice that the head waiter was new, & we reconised him from working in the meeting point last season !

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Thanks for reviewing. I passed this restaurant but would say I rarely go and eat in Main street of Calis, I feel its never as good value as eating in Fethiye.

We should really be putting these comments in TA's Restuarant review pages shouldn't we, if the restaurant on their list ? And restaurants should really join the list if they want punters to review them, I say! I thought we maybe breaking TA rules posting here - as this could be classed as direct advertising? Glad you enjoyed anyway :D

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Quite frankly personally I never (or hardly ever at least!) look at the reviews on TA - neither for restaurants nor hotels nor attractions. Possibly my loss - but with all the false promoting that often goes on on those pages, I for one prefer to read the recommendations posted on the various TA forums and take on board those put up by people who you can see know the area well and are frequent - or even recent - visitors. There was a great thread started by VR a few years ago entitled "good places to eat in and around Fethiye" which unfortunately, after people were deterred from bumping it up, and despite being a "sticky", has since been closed to new posts due to inaction. In no way can I see how an honest recommendation can be classed as "direct advertising" - heavens if that were the case, nobody would ever be able to post anything!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Yes, you are entitled to have your say, but IMO a lot of tourist newcomers do check out TA's restaurant and hotel review pages to get ideas of whats got good ratings before booking etc. I know I used to do when first coming on holidays to Turkey (perhaps because you frequent here so much you dont need to, I see.)

I don't understand entirely about false promoting you mention, because you have to put the date you visit an establishment and then management could reply if any incorrect or adverse comments. I suppose it must go on though - they wouldn't retort to any good false reviews I suppose! I am not accusing YB of anything - we are mates. I do not think he will take offence at my post. But thanks for pointing out about false promotion as I don't tend to think there are dishonest ways. I suppose sooner or later things must balance out as genuine reviews will go on as well?

My line of thought is only (1) it helps the restaurants rankings to do the reviews, good or bad! (2) it would keep the TA threads tidy and consistent to put a review for a Single restuarant in other designated area.

YB has done also general comprehensive reviews which contain many restaurants before - they are great - as the one exampling too by VR which I agree is very good - thats another point I am trying to make - and perhaps you missed - they need updating with additions or changes to be a real good reference sticky! Oh Attagul, I see - it should not have been closed to additions if its a 'sticky' - thanks for pointing that out. One solution is it could be reopened by TA if requested by VR, or copied into a fresh post and then additions added, later then amalgamated in sticky section. And the other post deleted later. Big job though for author .. well.. lets see.

Our TA post method I guess was always Useful general lists for the sticky section but single restaurant reviews in the Restaurant Review Section - because we are not allowed to recommend anywhere unless asked and then we should do a general post with more than one example to keep it unbiased.

I just thought food for thought also, (pardon the pun) as YB has had other posts deleted on TA, and we dont know why this is?

Lets strive to keep a balance. I welcome constructive criticisms on here :D

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

When I visit a restaurant I give a honest view, but I find that because certain travellers have properties out in the resorts, they become friends with restaurants owners, & don't like any critisism about the restaurants.

So they have posts deleted, what I have found on a few restaurants in Calis beach, the food was not worth the money, so I named the restaurants concerned.

Everyone should be allowed their opinion, & not have it deleted, but it seems if it does not suit certaijn people.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

I use my eyes and instinct.

I'll suss out the area first.

If a place is busy, has a clearly displayed menu outside, no 'welcoming' tout outside, then we're quite likely to give it a whirl.

I want to know the price of the drinks too, as a good value meal can soon become very expensive if the booze is overpriced.

Even better if it's full of locals, and the only distraction is a bit of easy on the ears music.

If I've got a bit of doubt I'll have a look at the state of the toilets before sitting down

I really take little notice of recommendations on TA, and sorry to say, but I treat recommendations by DEs' (Destination Enthusiast!) on most of the TA forums I visit with the most suspicion.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Good point there Lancaster Lad about looking at toilets first, a lady who we once met abroad said the same thing, if the toilets are up to standard & clean, this gives you a idea of how clean the kitchen is.

Last year I posted about a certain restaurant on the promenade at Calis Beach, I used the toilets & then looked further round the back of the restaurant, they had breadcakes piled up on not so clean shelves & other dirty items, without looking at my last years post I can't remember which it was, but it was one of the 2 restaurants with the same name , I won't say the restaurants name, because it wouldn't be fair on the other restaurant. !

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Agree about the Toilets being a good guide to the state of the Kitchens. Plus I look at the numner of people eating in any given place, if its locals so much the better, feel they know a good place if any one does.

I have eaten in Turkish Reataurants that have got a good write up on Trip Advisor, & have been really disappointed, It makes we wonder what kind of food they eat at home!!!!

I think with some people its more quantilty rather than quality.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Quite agree with you LL about deliberately ignoring places with annoying "welcoming touts" - they drive me in the opposite direction!! I am not too worried about a printed menu - half the time all menus have the same things - just what is "Mexican chicken" I wonder? i prefer to look at the food displays and ask about the dishes, and will invariably ask the price of the wine or beer. And of course tend not to try the places that are empty.

We did use TA restaurant reviews a few years ago when returning to Dalyan for a few days (we had passed through it staying for a number of days on many occasions in the past but that was before discovering TA and so we had made and found our own luck) and opted to go to the then #1 TA ranked restaurant which I had also read being highly praised on the Dalyan forum, and thought it was absolutely dreadful! For the remaining nights we used our usual instincts!

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

I visited one restaurant in the main street of Calis beach last year, one what was a top restaurant according to the Calis beach forum, the meal was rubbish, I had a steak, never looked like or tasted like one.

Has you say Lulubell makes you think. !

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mangal Restaurant Main Street Calis Beach !

Think I might have eaten in the same place Yorkie, All I could say about that meal was OK nothing more. My friend & I opted for a lamb meal, more like a old Ram than Lamb, went into there because it had a good write up from T.A.

Plus I find if you stay away from the Sea Front Restaurants, you get a better deal, money wise & food wise, just my opinion of course, but find this applys to other sea side resorts, you end up paying for the view, not they quality of food on offer.

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations