We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
317 reviews
Save Topic
8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

Anyone had a flyer come through the post regarding a 8 day cultural tour in Turkey, On the trail of the Apostles in Cappadcia, the tour tour being advertised by RSD Travel Ltd, registered in England & Wales, but I am told a German firm, or have they done the tour.

We were offered the tour in form of a flyer in with my Camra real ale members magazine, & also found out it is also sent has a flyer with the National Trust's own magazine.

On paper it looked a bargain, with flights , transfers, 7 nights in 4* / 5* hotels, 7 generous breakfasts, normal cost £599 per person, but on selected dates it is offered at £149 per person, other dates there is seasonal price increases from £20 to £120 per person.

They advise a culture & dinner package of £110 pp, being it seems that the hotels they use are out & beyond near any towns / villages, so if you don't take this, you don't get any food.

Then not on the flyer there is a £85 lunch package, where a load of coaches all drop onto a establishment & are given lunch, on reading reviews the food & some of the hotels are sub standard.

The flights using 6 airports from the U/K , being that most flights land in Antalya at 3.30am, after transfers, the tours start at 8am, so after transfer from the airport to hotel, not much time for sleep, & also having to have breakfast before the 8am tour bus start, then all day tour, stopping at sites & lunch somewhere, not getting to a hotel until 6pm to 8pm, normally the latter.

Reading from one traveller, it said they drove from Antalya via Demre to Fethiye, what I would say a long way, with including stop offs for the itinerary, it seems the travel company RDS who do the tour, are not forth-coming on giving information until a couple of weeks before the holiday being taken.

Anyone done the trip with this firm, & if so what hotel in Fethiye wa used, ( if Fethiye was used has a overnight stay ).

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

There is a similar deal with a company called Premio - very mixed reviews on here - we thought about it but reckon it will be more relaxing to have a fortnight in Anatalya area and get a trip from there!

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

Found out that the Golden Moon in Calis Beach was the hotel used in the Fethiye area, where some of the travellers got a taxi to the fishmarket in Fethiye.

A hotel in Gocek was also used on the tour, again been reading mixed reviews so will give this a wide berth, & do our own thing. !

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

There is a very long running thread on the RDS Cappadocia tour.On that there are a few moaners,but on the whole comments are very favourable with most who've done it saying it was a good tour,good guide,decent hotels and good value for money.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

Hello arikanarya,

Yes I have read it, but I was trying to find what hotels were used in the tour around the Fethiye area, which I found out.

What i was looking at was going on the tour, but with flight times, arriving in Anatalya airport at 3.30am, transfer to hotel for 4.30am, then a 6.30am early morning call to travel at 8.00am, plus some of the stories regarding hotels & food, i think we weill give this a miss.

It seems the tour company doing the tour are not forth-coming with information, until shortly before your holiday, plus a lot of travelling in the tour, for me too many bad reviews. !

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

Have just returned from this trip. Very mixed feelings about the experience. We were lucky with the weather, blue skies every day .all our hotels were fine but we were not told in advance where they would

be. I think the guide only gets told on the day which hotels are being used. Our guide is what let this holiday down for us. From the first welcome meeting to the final goodbye he was aggressive and on several occasions drunk! He was really rude to the people not taking the lunch option and gave them no advice about where to get a snack. Most lunch stops were in isolated places. The other very negative aspect was the visits to the carpet, leather and jewelry factories. These visits included some very heavy selling techniques and you had to be very determined if you didn't want to buy a carpet etc. The guide must get commission on sales as he wanted to know how much people had spent. In total a whole day was wasted at these factories. The combination of the flight times, the appalling guide and the enforced visits to the various factories plus the 320 mile drive across Turkey to Capodiccia would put me off recommending this trip to anyone. if you look at other review s of this holiday there is a recurring theme of poor hotels and aggressive guides. We did have a great driver and some of the scenery was amazing. Would definitely go back to Turkey but not withRDS or any other company offering such cheap holidays.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 14:12
swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

Thank you SusanW for your input of the tour, seems your guide was just in it to get commision for the sales at carpet,jewellery & leather factories, other travellers have said the same in their reviews.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

I did the RSD Cappadocia 'On the trail of the Apostles in Cappadocia' which I picked up from the National Trust magazine.If I was you I would say DON'T GO. The trip is advertised as 8 days/ 7 nights, in fact it is not. The time of our flight from Stansted was 23:55, in fact we left Stansted at 1;45 am so that was day 1 gone. The standard of hotels was not very good, food just about acceptable and as for the guide, he loved the sound of his own voice and fancied himself as Frank Sinatra by singing 'My Way' on the coach. If you like being dragged around a carpet factory, jewellery factory and leather factory then go ahead and enjoy. Cappadocia, which was an amazing place to visit, only took up two days of the holiday. It might be cheap but in this case it is not a bargain.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

Thank you Jacqui2502,

Good to get all the input about this tour, it helps other travellers who might think about whether to book or not now. !

Leicester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

We have also just come back from our holiday in Turkey with RSD Travel and found it very unsatisfactory for many of reasons already written. The jewellery place and especially the leather place were very intimidating and you were harassed and stalked by the sales people, this was not what you expected on holiday and some of the hotels were not satisfactory and the pressure to sell the "options" was not nice and we felt that our Guide was having to be a "salesman" and appeared to be in trouble for not selling enough of the options. This holiday was very disappointing and we would not recommend to anyone. Turkey, the sights and the history are well worth seeing but not with RSD Travel. C.J.S and M.R.S

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 Day Cultural Tour In Turkey

I do hope you write to RSD and complain, we certainly have and, if you saw this particular holiday advertised then complain to them also. We were extremely disappointed with this holiday and so are many others judging by the amount of complaints on the Internet on various sites.

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations