We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorable moment

Dennyloanhead...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
73 reviews
Memorable moment

Ok folks most of us on here has been to Marmaris on at least 1 , 2 or multiple occasions but would you like to tell us about your 1 occasion that was most memorable ? The one occasion that stands out from anything else .

I think for us was this year when we met Arthur for the first time . I met him outside the Club Excelsior door and my first impressions was that he looked so relaxed and more like a local lol . We then went into the Exelsior and had a drink and a chat . I remember just how relaxing he was to chat too and felt like I had known him all my life . He was unbelievable in the amount of information he provided for us and as for giving us directions from the Excelsior to a destination such as a restaurant , he just seemed to rhyme off the streets and directions without thinking about it . For us that meeting didn't last long enough as I could have chatted to him for hours lol . He had to go as he was leaving for home in England the next day and had a lot of packing etc. to do . We hope to meet him again and we thank him for taking time out for us .

We have many memorable moments now but this one stands out .

John M

Edited: 13 December 2017, 22:22
10 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Memorable moment

For me it's my first visit.it was so different to what I had been told to expect.the weather,the people and choice of food all brilliant.when I go on holiday i like to totally switch off and relax and I can do this in marmaris.its for this reason that my holiday in May will be 10 years to marmaris.(do I get a present).I recommend it to anyone who asks for holiday recommendation...I might not remember everything I've done in those 10 years but marmaris is definitely memorable🇹🇷

John

Level Contributor
1,205 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Memorable moment

Glad to see this post back .. yes I have pasted from another reply but ALL this is our

memorable moment and will be for a long time .. that's why we are coming back .

Not my first (2018 will only be our third) visit but what we are looking forward too is... steeping out of the airport to the " smell of the heat" as the kids call it, the view as you come over the hill of the resort, walking along the beach, a few quite drinks on the marina, great food from good restaurants, the friendly people, the weather, the bazaar ( funny enough) the haggling, and the warm, relaxed feeling we get when we are there.

We are looking forward to all of it..

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
3. Re: Memorable moment

had many memorial moments over the years , but one stands out 1996 we were in al fresco bar , when we heard it was closing down , a new mayor had been elected and he wasnt happy with lots of bars in marmaris ,, and closing places down willy nilly,, we had a heated debate with a few turkish guys and to be honest it did get heated, i said if i see the mayor i will give him a good talking to (or words to that efffect) everybody was putting there tupence in,,then a burly guy came over and said the mayor wants to speak to me i said bring it on ,, get him here now ,,, my burly friend said " you are talking to him) yes it was the mayor himself ,,by this time i had doubted who his parents were, amongst other things,, we did eventually have a quiet chat , and ended up having a efes or two , he even paid the bill , we even became friends ,, tbh he was right in what he saying at that time marmaris was rowdy and haggling was at its peak, now many years later marmaris is now a top class resort , so maybe he was right ,, had to laugh at a holidayhola and "smell the heat" this is excacty what what we said , and again i cant say enough to people who visit marmaris ,, enjoy every second of this magical place , as a evertonian the words "your in my heart , " your in my soul" are very true but i mean that about marmaris,, a million happy memories,, and luckily we have some great desternation experts on the forum,, regards and best wishes to you all , especialy to alans family at this time of the year ,ive been down that road so i know how they feel,, to you all i wish you a very happy christmas and a great new year , but most of all enjoy marmaris,, kindest regards peter ( nil satus nisi optimum)

Edited: 14 December 2017, 11:34
Dennyloanhead...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Memorable moment

Hi Peter P , that was a great story and I enjoyed reading it . It's funny how things never seem right but some how are right and time usually reveals that .

Merry Christmas to you and your family and my thoughts are with Alan's family too and indeed anyone else who has had losses .

John M

hull england
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Memorable moment

John thanks for those nice words I suppose with not being a 100% holiday maker I do dress down a little and of course I get about resort on the bike with a bag full of bread does make blend in a little.

Peter another wonderful post I,m a great fan of the present Mayor Ali Acar who was probably the next Mayor elected after your story as you rightly say the resort has come so far over the last 15 years its been a long time but the changes have been massive.

I thought the resort was getting a bit tacky now I say this as a parent who spent many nights on long beach and loved everyone of them but the resort had more to offer than drinking all night there was a opportunity to make Marmaris something special.

Again this is a personal opinion I,'ve argued many times on this forum and probably all the facebook sites about the Mayor and his team and the changes that have happened, it needed someone to look beyond the beach front which has happened making Marmaris a special place and on an equal footing with the so called top resorts in Europe and I think it needs people like Peter who have lived in resort and seen at first hand the benefits tourists and more importantly the local community have gained to fully understand what happens in Marmaris.

Every winter roads are dug up and reset lots of work goes on unseen the fountain area will this week again host a market and the Xmas/new year lights are equal to most British Cities efforts.

Not a week goes by without some event taking place which is only possible due to the efforts of the Mayor and his team making the resort a resort people want to bring events to.

Finally holidayhola you got it spot on that smell when you walk out of the airport and the heat is just the first of many unique things about the resort .

Hope your keeping well Peter the results are certainly improving

hullman

North Wales
Level Contributor
638 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Memorable moment

Hi all I think the memory that stands out for us was about 20 years ago when we went to the old Kervan and it was full, we asked for a table for 2 and the waiter went over to another table and asked if we could share. The person said of course we could and we ended up having dinner with the mayor and his wife. Paul and Rose xx

hull england
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Memorable moment

Paul and Rose

The old Kervan had lots of character.

The Mayor often walks on the marina but is accompanied by bodyguards a sign of the times I guess

hullman

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Memorable moment

My first time in marmaris we stayed in maxwell apartments, 26 year ago, we spent our two weeks in Basil's bar, his cousin Charlie worked with him, who now owns Charlie's bar, we have went to turkey every year if not for main holiday but for wee week. Also the way they hassled you back then to go. To shops and food, only the last 7 years I've notice a difference. How honest they are left a bag in stop bar, latchin kept it for me this year, how he got my hubby his coupons on and he won a few quid to, really honest people

Dennyloanhead...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
73 reviews
9. Re: Memorable moment

Yes they are very honest Jane , I left my camera on Mega Diane and Captain Mustafa found it and locked it up for me which I collected next day 😀

John M

stoke-on-trent
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: Memorable moment

Yes I totally agree about the honesty of the people, we went on a boat trip and we were picked up @ 8:45am went for breakfast (which was included in the price) got on the boat (captain bull s'h@t in icmeler)and then realised we had left the camera somewhere. Ali phoned the restaurant and it wasn't there... all we could think of at the time was one of the children was looking at the photos on the camera just before we got picked up and probably left it on the wall outside the hotel. when we got back we had a look where we were sitting and there was nothing there.thats gone we thought. so we asked at reception and low and behold it had been handed in by someone, we asked who but the receptionist didn't know but said they were Turkish. this has always stood out in my mind as I lost a camera here in England not far from our house with loads of picture of Wembley and our local public house... did we see it again...did we heck..

Gavin.

Reply to: Memorable moment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marmaris