We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money advice again!

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
378 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Money advice again!

Checked with Lloydstsb today and they want 2.5% to withdraw cash in turkey along with another charge of 1.5% fee. this is going to cost me a fortune to withdraw cash! whats the alternative???? there are also fees for me using the debit card for purchases too. would i be better off taking sterling travellers cheques??????? will i be able to change them easily enough - will i be charged commission on cashing them???? help please as we travel in two weeks and i need to order some money!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
932 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money advice again!

If you have time open a Nationwide Flex Account. They still don't charge for withdrawals.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money advice again!

Oh greedy banks!!As said if you can get an Nationwide account opened in time that would be great.If you can't and don't want to use ahotel safe for cash then yes, take TC's.They are a bit of a pain as you can only change them at a bank and you will need your passport with you to do so.The only charge for changing them is the normal exchange commision which is around 1%,no extra charges.

A total of 4% charges?Blimey,I bet Lloydstsb executives are all having good holidays this year!

essex
Level Contributor
378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money advice again!

isnt it disgusting! i nearly fell over and the cashier wasnt that happy with it either! she was quite shocked when she checked it out as she is going to turkey this year as well.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money advice again!

what about a pre-payed thomson/thomas cook card. easily obtainable and free i think to withdraw from atm's/

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money advice again!

Cash passport below.

cashpassport.com/1/…

scotland
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money advice again!

Hi there. When my friend and i went to Marmaris 3 yrs ago we changed £200 in travellers cheques each at a little office in the point shopping centre. When we counted it we realised we had been charged £25 each in commission thats a whopping 12.5 % Its our own fault we should have checked - it was an expensive lesson learned. Always find out exactly what charges there are and get them to count it in front of you then count it back your self before you leave office. Also shop around we had changed travellers cheques before at different places and had never been stung like that before.

7. Re: Money advice again!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Marmaris