We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24... new drink age.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
667 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
24... new drink age.

Just read in "the MIrror" this morning that the prime minister of Turkey has brought in strict new laws. no drinking if under 24 yrs old., as the country apparently has a big drink problem..

The winner of the grand prix yeaterday Seb Vettel is 23 and wasnt allowed the victory drink of champagne.

my daughter whos 18 is disgusted she wont be able to have a beer with me, do you thinkit will be enforced in the resorts.. if its law i spose it will ??

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
164 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24... new drink age.

Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has introduced strict new alcohol laws increasing the minimum age to 24 because of a nationwide drinking crisis.

Read more: mirror.co.uk/sport/…ixzz1LqvKvTId

Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August . Click here for more information

Just read this

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24... new drink age.

I'm not sure if this is true but a lot of young people in their early 20's fill the bars at night! Luckily (kind of) I turn 24 on Sunday so even if it is true I'm safe! Hopefully it won't be and if it is the holiday resorts may be lenient as this is a large source of income for them.

Hopefully someone who is out there now can enlighten us!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,136 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24... new drink age.

if its law then im sure it will be patrolled just like it is here, i dont think many bars/restaurants would risk big fines/closure or loss of license.... its another sad thing to add to the list, Turkey is gonna end up losing tourists due to out-pricing themselves and drinking laws etc etc which is a shame as we love Turkey but gonna have a look at the price situation after we come back in june 2012, might have to re-think our destinations after that/

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24... new drink age.

"The new restrictions ... raise the age for participation in events at which alcohol is served to 24." Such as an F1 (or a rock concert), I guess.

I'm sure it doesn't apply to bars and restaurants.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24... new drink age.

No, it doesn't apply to bars, etc - it's just at sporting events, etc.

Jak xx

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
667 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24... new drink age.

Thats a relief.. thanks Jak and davidm1 for clarifying that..24 is a bit old, we here in ireland have a prob big time with underage drinking too and drinking in general but its wrong to try to control an adult of 24 in my opinion.

swansea
Level Contributor
576 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 24... new drink age.

can someone clarify that its not age 24 or above to drink in bars/clubs? as i just read the article above

thanks

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24... new drink age.

Tobacco and Alcohol Market Regulatory Agency (TAPDK) President Mehmet Küçük has denied claims of “martial law” or “neighborhood pressure” regarding a new regulation limiting the sale of alcoholic beverages, stating that the regulation is completely in compliance with international standards.

According to Küçük, the TAPDK is being unjustly targeted over the regulation. He said the sale of alcoholic beverages is subject to even harsher criteria in Europe and the US, and Turkey is working to catch up to international standards on the sale of alcohol.

There have been recent arguments that the regulation is a result of the Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) “conservative identity” and that the government is working toward a ban on the sale of alcoholic beverages in the country. For most critics, the new regulation would create a “neighborhood pressure” on alcohol users as conservative people will no longer allow them to drink alcohol in public places.

Contrary to claims, Küçük said selling alcoholic beverages is easier in Turkey than in Europe or the US. “We observed the situation in New York and some other states. Beer is sold at gasoline stations and other alcoholic beverages are sold at liquor shops. Sellers ask for an ID even if the person buying alcohol looks 70 years old. Cashiers check whether the customer is 21 years old or not because it is illegal to sell alcohol to customers under 21 years old in the US,” he stated.

The situation in Turkey is very different, according to Küçük. Customers who are 18 years old are free to buy alcoholic beverages, which are freely sold in grocery stores. More than 207,000 shops sell alcohol across Turkey.

The TAPDK president also stated that the sale of alcohol has seen an increase since 2003. “Experts believe that alcohol consumption will see a greater increase in the coming three or four years and that the increase will largely impact young people,” he noted.

Küçük also denied claims that alcohol will not be sold to consumers younger than 24. He said the World Health Organization (WHO) defines people between the ages of 15 and 24 as “young,” and added that consumers who are 18 years old will be able to buy alcoholic beverages in Turkey.

The 24-year-old age requirement concerns people attending sporting events and events for young people. “This aims to protect the youth from alcoholism,” Küçük stated. Organizers or hosts of such events will not be allowed to offer alcoholic beverages to their guests if they are younger than 24.

Critics say it will be harder for catering companies to organize wedding parties and similar gatherings. An opposition spokesman once said that an “oppressive mentality” was seeking to control Turkey, suggesting that the ruling AK Party was targeting secular lifestyles. However, Küçük insisted that there was no “ideological dimension to the issue.”

The new regulation means finding a new name for Turkey’s top basketball team, which bears the same title as the beer-maker Efes Pilsen. The TAPDK president said related official bodies are working on the planned change and a final decision will be made public in the months to come. Efes Pilsen has until January 2012 to change its name and emblem, but the team wishes to complete the change in less than six months. The team is free to pick any name that will not evoke alcohol.

The TAPDK president also denied claims that the sale of alcohol will be banned on highways, and roads under the new regulation. He said the sale of alcoholic beverages at such places has been banned since 2003.

Level Contributor
226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24... new drink age.

Wouldn't be too impressed if I can't buy drink next week being 23 years old...

DUNDEE
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 24... new drink age.

thanks for that jak my kids would be gutted if they couldnt have a drink at nite

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris
Recent Conversations