We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In marmaris now and need advice please?

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
douglas
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
In marmaris now and need advice please?

Hi,

We have been in marmaris since monday and no matter what I do I cannot stop my son from burning. F50, a hat and T-shirt doesn't work. He is 8 and wouldn't take kindly to being in the shade for the rest of his hols and it would be a nightmare for me for him to get sick as I am here on my own with three kids.

I spoke with the guy at the Supermarket today about getting a swimsuit for him that keeps the UV rays out. He took me out around town on the back of his scooter. Eventually we went to one of his suppliers who made a few calls and a full body suit can be delivered to me tomorrow. The only issue with this is the guy wants 150 lira for it which is very expensive. Does anyone know a place that sells them cheaper?

Many thanks

Dan

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,967 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

bloody hell that is expensive, we got 1 for our daughter from tesco last year for 7quid.... depends how badly burnt he is mate, 70quid is a small price to pay if it saves your holiday.... sorry dunno what to say really. matt

p.s go to a pharmacy and seek their advice, thepharmacys are called Eczane theres a fair few about

Edited: 15 July 2011, 20:57
FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,526 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

Dan have you tryed places like Kipa for anything like it 150lira sounds crazy price.

Stevie

whitehaven
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

yes dan go to the migros or the big tansas in marmaris centre by the bazaar and netsel marina are you using the nivea factor 50 that is blue? other than that keep him out of the sun at peak times which i am sure you are. regards, demir

fawkirk...
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

hi dan...

sorry to hear of your predicament here...there is one sure way of stopping him from burning...keep him out of the sun for anything like a prolonged period, yes i know it'll be hard on the wee guy and you but at the end of the day, so what? would you rather be ripped of stupid or have the wee one screaming the place down when it gets to be so bad that he cant stand it? tough yes, makes sense equally yes...who says the suit thing is even going to work? i personally wouldn't take the chance, i'd have him in the shade for the vast majority of the time or cover him in cream without rubbing it in AND have a T shirt on him. if he doesn't like it, tough...sorry to be seen as a party pooper but is it really worth it? i seriously dont think so...

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

if his sunburn is sore wash him with vinegar and water....dab it on, let it dry and just keep repeating...i promise this works and will take all the heat and soreness away....he'll smell like a chip tho lol

wont stop him burning again but will help with the results x

fawkirk...
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

Hi sue...you sure your not gettin mixed up with washing windows,lolll...also dan natural yoghurt works, smeared all over the burnt bits...

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

lol lallie...no, i promise you that it works....takes all the heat out of the burn only drawback...people want to eat you lol

essex
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

Sue is right about using the vinegar it takes the sting away ... Definitely no protection against the sun but an excellent but smelly pain reliever .

liverpool
Level Contributor
312 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

use natural yogurt all over were he is burnt and place a towel on the bed were he is sleeping and leave on overnight and wash off the next morning it will work i promise i burnt years ago and the parmacist in cyprus told me to do this and it worked !! abit smelly but if it works try it !!! pity you couldnt find factor 70 i use it on my kids its by hawaiiwan tropic its brill

Newcastle England
Level Contributor
312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In marmaris now and need advice please?

I would go to a Pharmacy before you consider spending that amount of Money, especially as it probably wont fit him next year, Natural Yoghurt is really soothing on Burns and doesnt have an initial sting, if you can get your hands on P20 Sun Lotion that is a complete Sun Block and should be available in the Pharmacys, also all Sun Lotions are more effective if there applied 20-30 minutes before exposure to the Sun, my little boy is very Blonde and we allow him to have a couple of hours without a Tee Shirt in the cooler parts of the day.

For the rest of the time weather he's in the Pool or not he is smothered in Cream, re-applied every Hour, and wears a Hat and Tee Shirt, i know its a bit of a let down on Holiday when you have to make them seek Shade but now we all know what the possible effects are to Over Exposure years down the Line, it's not a choice really, is this maybe the 1st time you have been to Turkey? If so, maybe he hasnt been exposed to Sun like this before and that might be part of the problem, i really hope you can find a Solution and enjoy the rest of your Holiday :-))