We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

RESTAURANT: Kervan Ocakbasi.

Tarkan Usta Kebap Dunyasi.

LOCATION: Fevzi Cakmak Cad. Keskin Apart. Next to Club Julian

0 252 417 7351/ 417 7352/ 417 7242

We went to this restaurant on the recommendation of Steviedebz and others on the forum. We went with or friend Linda who is the co-owner and operator of the “Finding Nemo Fishing Boat”. It is a favourite of hers.

STYLE: Traditional Turkish.

BOGOF: No.

SET MEALS: No.

DATE OF VISIT: 06/09/11

DISHES TRIED: We ordered three starters to share. The mashed aubergine with garlic, cacic (cucumber in yogurt) and the white cheese. When the bread arrived it turned out to be a big round of, soft, hot and delicious Pida. With it was a plate of rocket, parsley and grilled baby onions. Alongside this was another plate of grilled tomatoes and grilled, large, very hot green chillies. These were “on the house”. The mashed aubergine was still warm from being freshly made and was tasty with just the right balance of garlic. The cacic was thick, rich and cooling. The white cheese was a small portion (but the price was only 2 lira) and it was creamy with not too much salt.

Jean once again opted for a pide but this time she chose the cheese and egg. It was by far the best one we have ever eaten with a wonderful taste that was almost beyond description. How they get such a fantastic flavour from two such basic ingredients is beyond me! Linda ordered the lamb ribs. There was, I think, eight of these on her plate and they were well cooked with the meat juicy and tender and the fat slightly crisp. My order was for the liver kebab. This came on metal skewers (10) with five pieces of liver and one of fat on each “stick”. Liver is difficult to cook and keep moist and tender and very easy to overcook! This was perfect. Cooked through but soft and moist. The pieces of fat were to die for. I know that many people do not like liver and even fewer like fat… but I do and I was in heaven. I gave a couple of “sticks” to Linda and she also said that the meat and fat was the best she had ever tried.

We finished of the delightful feast by trying the only desert that they have on the menu. I can’t remember the name of it but you can’t miss it. Basically it is a round concoction of pastry (a bit like baklava), cheese, grated pistachio nuts and a thin syrup. It appeared to have been baked and came warm. It was wonderful but be warned. One portion is easily enough for three or four as it is extremely rich.

DRINKS TRIED: Linda once again had water with ice and lemon, Jean had a glass of red which she pronounced as excellent and I had two small bottles of Efes. Note: They do not stock large bottles.

TOTAL PRICE: At 80 lira (£28.57) a very reasonable price!

PRICE/PERSON: £9.52!!!

STAFF: Good but a bit slow. Starter dishes arrived a bit “higgledy pigeldey”!

OWNER: We did not meet the owner.

AMBIANCE: Although this restaurant is very Turkish it is in a rather modern building. So although the atmosphere was pleasant it did not seem as traditional as the food. However the quality of the food more than made up for this.

I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to any lover of good food. Especially if they like a bargain price!!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
93 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

Another great review peter am salivating or as we say locally slevering seven days well actually 6 by the time we get there just isnt going to be enough a need to whittle down ma list lol thanks for all the info

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

The dessert sounds like kunefe-

www.google.com.tr/search…

This originates from the Gaziantep region and is lovely(a favourite of mine!) but as said rather rich.

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

nice1 Peter av just came in from ma work read your review now a'm starving lol!!! theres so much of that menu a'm going to eat next year it was just the mixed grill we had a do like liver and a love ribs mmmmm the chillies were to hot fir me but we did love the Pida bread

god yous 2 love your food mezi starters then starter then main course then a desert :))))

cheers

Stevie

Edited: 07 September 2011, 15:42
torquay
Level Contributor
356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

peter we go on saturday,another restautant to write in my book many thanks,

hull england
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

peter

as i,ve written many times this is my favorite eating place in marmaris/armutalan the smells from kervan drift across my balcony and we aften eat there or get takeaways when i,m waiting for my takeaway you often see turkish people with doggy bags leaving the rest. the food is really nice but to be fair there are plenty of fine places to eat mainly in the centre of marmaris i can never understand people just eating in the english style cafe,s

hullman

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

We ate there on our last nite, the food was lovely had the kebab with walnuts (cant remember the name),

Prices we resonable, only downside i had was the staff seemed to hover behind us whilst we were eating, and it felt like they were rushing us, but i would recommend people ate there as it was a lovely place with great food.

Becci

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

Hi all,

@ sarikanarya ; Yes thats the one, thanks.

@ hullman2009; Our friend Linda took all the bones from the ribs plus some extra ones from the staff for her dog. We ate everything bar about two small slices of the pide.

@ bugsndaffy; it was so busy with Turkish people eating that the staff did not have time to hover.

To those yet to go... you lucky people!

Peter & Jean. :o)

Bolton
Level Contributor
408 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

Is this place easy to find, I have it on my list of places to try next year, I am staying at Club Alize. I am going to print off a map so any directions would be much appreciated.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

Hi Kerensa,

Easy peasy! It is right next to Club Julian.

Don't miss it.

Peter & Jean. :o)

Bolton
Level Contributor
408 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kervan Ocakbasi Totally Turkish.

and club Julian is where? lol x

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris