We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

as many companys, and many hotels in marmaris are all going AI

im sure all the local restuarants will be going that extra mile this year to try and get your custom, i noticed last year that a restuarant that we go to on a yearly basis was cheaper than previous years, im sure this was because all the hotels round about them had all gone AI where previously they were b &b, also found that along the main strip in Sietler there were quite a few empty restaurants.

so maybe this year all us SC holiday makers will get an even bigger

bargain than usual .so please go out and support the local restuants in marmaris it would be a shame for it to become an exclusive AI resort

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

are ya sure it wasnt cos the rate was really high last year? lol

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

Hiya Kenya10

You mention about many restaurants in SIteler being empty. Perhaps its. because theres lots of big all inclusive hotels along the SIteler side of Marmaris. Obviously it will have a knock on effect on the surrounding restaurants. Theres lots of competition and it must be tough for the restrauters!

keighley
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

Yes a few of the restaurateur in armutalan area was saying its hard to compete with hotels offering half board and all inclusive for next to nothing but the quality and choice of food doesn't match the local restaurants. I know the club Anastasia has had a half board option in the hotel and although you eat in the BELLA BLU restaurant you are given a different menu the other customers in the restaurant,speaking to people who do go half board have said the food was good and choose half board because of having young families and tend to stay in the hotel as its close to their rooms etc.

Across the road at the golden moon restaurant was always empty as we would walk passed it every night,I won't be surprised to see a few restaurants not opening this summer.

Bob

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

Hi all,

We will certainly be supporting the local restaurants when we go!

I can understand that those with large families of young children and those on a limited budget will want to go A/I but for us it is definitely a no-no.

I can see, over time, it causing the demise of many restaurants.

It is ok for us holiday makers, in the short term, enjoying the fact that to survive the restaurants have to reduce their prices but eventually it will be to the detriment of quality of both food and service and to such things as portion size.

In the long run this can only be bad for Marmaris.

As the restaurants close and there is less and less choice the ones that have weathered the storm will be in a stronger position to once again increase their prices, probably over and above the status quo . But they may not then improve the quality to its old level.

Peter & Jean. :o(

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

yes matt u could be right, the rate was really high last year we were getting 2,8 at the wee supermarket across the road.

i understand that we are all on a budget and especially if you have kids that going AI is a good option, my daughter and friends go twice a year to the Golden Orange and they are offering a Ai option this year which they jumped at. Only hope that for us who choose to go self catering the knock on effect is not too bad,

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

I have seen a massive change in the area near the Hotel I always stay at ( Ekin Hotel & Aparts).

A few years ago, walking from the Hotel to the main road there was 17 Bars & Restraunts, 5 travel agencies, 4 tattoo shops. a couple of hairdressers and many mini supermarkets.

Sadly now only about 4 or 5 Bars & Restaurants, 1 tattoo shop and 2 mini - supermarkets remain.

The road was buzzing every night, now you walk down it's like a ghost town. Also several hotels have closed.

The small Bars & Restaurants are struggling because of very high rent & rate increases. More places will close this year. The eurozone is in crisis, credit for some people is hard to come by, so what money people have, people want value for money.

That's why many Hotels have changed to All Inclusive and many will very soon, as the Travel Companies are paying more attention to All inclusive family package holidays. The travel Companies are paying a large percentage of the Hotels upgrade and a higher rate to the Hotel for a person staying there. Where as the smaller Hotels are having to pay for any upgrades themselves and are getting a lower rate per person.

For Instance a couple paying £1200 for a 2 week package holiday, the small Hotel will receive about £80. Where the AI Hotels get paid about £240.

So the knock effect of many Hotels going AI means smaller Hotels, Bars & Restaurants closing.

People staying B&B or Self Catering this year should get a few bargains as the Bars & Restaurants offer deals to keep there places open, as this will be the first season with all lot of All Inclusive Hotels starting out for the first time. However if the AI is a success this season, next year more places will close.

Support the smaller Hotels and Bars & Restaurants

Alan

Edited: 29 February 2012, 11:20
Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

Hi All,

Exactly.

Peter & Jean. :o)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

i agree about supporting the local restaurants and bars, i like to go self catering as we like to eat what we want, when we want, we always choose to eat at a different restaurant every night in the armutulan area, and never get hassled as they know we will go in one night to eat. and we call in most days or nights to have a drink

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

I too will be supporting the local restaurants & bars this year. I will be having my 8th holliday in Marmaris this year and I have always gone self catering even with 3 children , as peargrove said earlier we like to eat, what we want, when we want, where we want. Also I will be away the 1st 2 weeks in August and the cheapest holiday with First Choice for the same time AI is £3200 for 2 Adults /2 Children, which is about £1600 more than I have paid for 2 weeks self catering and there's no way I spend that much on food and drink in the 2 weeks that i'm there (maybe half that) and we eat out 2 or 3 times a day eating Steak every night and drinking EFES and Cocktails, even the kids have a fantastic child size rump steak, which I am sure they wouldn;t have if we were AI. I have spoken to many people who have stayed AI in Turkey, some say it was o.k if you like chicken, rice and eggs every day, some say it was terrible. I can honestly say if anyone ever says to me they are going to Marmaris I always reccomend they go SC.

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating out going to be cheaper in 2012

I too will be supporting the local restaurants & bars this year. I will be having my 8th holliday in Marmaris this year and I have always gone self catering even with 3 children , as peargrove said earlier we like to eat, what we want, when we want, where we want. Also I will be away the 1st 2 weeks in August and the cheapest holiday with First Choice for the same time AI is £3200 for 2 Adults /2 Children, which is about £1600 more than I have paid for 2 weeks self catering and there's no way I spend that much on food and drink in the 2 weeks that i'm there (maybe half that) and we eat out 2 or 3 times a day eating Steak every night and drinking EFES and Cocktails, even the kids have a fantastic child size rump steak, which I am sure they wouldn;t have if we were AI. I have spoken to many people who have stayed AI in Turkey, some say it was o.k if you like chicken, rice and eggs every day, some say it was terrible. I can honestly say if anyone ever says to me they are going to Marmaris I always reccomend they go SC.

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris
Recent Conversations