We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe

Hey guys going to Marmaris in June and a friend has told me not to due to all the trouble near by and terriorst attacks any advice !!

Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe

Hi Mic101,

I am sure you will be fine. I have been going to Marmaris now for nearly 10 years and have had no trouble. There is (as far as I am aware) no trouble nearby. I regularly see Turkish/Kurdish news my husband is from there) and have not seen anything reported for this area.

If you are careful (like when back home in terms of not flashing cash, etc around) you should be fine. There are always police around.

When there are terrorist attacks in Turkey, these are mainly in major cities (Istanbul) or in the South East of the country and there haven't been any in Marmaris for several years now.

You will have a great time when you go and wonder what all your friends fuss was about.

Heather :)

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe

Your friend sounds a little paranoid. I have a siter in law a little like that, see's terroists everytime she see's someone with slightly darker skin than herself and has sleepless nights everytime we fly on a plane, she wont fly herself..Lol

I have not been to Turkey since 2009 but I used to be a regular visitor, and have been there 8 or 9 times. Have only ever heard of a couple of incidents and never seen any trouble. I am originally from London and have heard more about threats there than Turkey.

I love Turkey and the only reason I have not been back for a while is due to personal finances at present, much cheaper flights to Europe.

I have always felt safe and totally relaxed there and the people are lovely.

Dont let your friends fears put you off, you will miss out on so much.

Go to Turkey and enjoy.

God bless

Jay

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe

I bet if you ask your friend what trouble she us referring to or what exactly the threat of terrorist attacks is she wont be able to answer!

Really there is no 'trouble' near Marmaris, nor is there any specific terrorist threat to worry about.

Don't worry. I lived in a tourist resort in Turkey for a few years and I never saw any trouble at all neither did I ever feel on any way worried.

Enjoy your holiday and tell your friend what a great time you had when you go home!

Wishaw, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe

Terrorist threats you say ? obviously you dont live in the uk lol because i think we in the uk have more to fear in our country than we do in Marmaris. Just relax Marmaris is very safe.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe

Any advice?Yeah but not for you, for your friend.Educate yourself.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,967 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe

there is a constant terrorist threat in turkey but its just a warning and to be fair in the amount of years we have been going only ever known 1 occasion when something has happened... the uk is constantly under "high" terror allert and theres more likely to be an incident here as in turkey,. matt

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe

Hi all,

More chance of being bombed or mugged in Liverpool than in Marmaris.

Tell your friend not to be a rumour munger.

I live 45kms from the Yemeni border. Believe me, I would rather be in Marmaris!

Peter & Jean. :o)

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe

I agree with Kedi,

<<<<Really there is no 'trouble' near Marmaris, nor is there any specific terrorist threat to worry about.<<<<

I live in Turkey for the past 15 yrs..you dont need to worry

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe

liverpool ???? lol

Edited: 12 April 2012, 08:46
Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe

Hi Ronnie,

Sorry that was just because the original poster is from Liverpool!

Peter & Jean. :o)