We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Horror Story

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,915 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Another Horror Story

This site and many of the other Marmaris sites are fantastic for helping people and giving advise - However, everyone needs to be aware that if they give the wrong advise there could be serious consequences. We now have a young girl of 21 here in Marmaris who has over stayed.

Her 90 days was up Midnight Saturday. Somebody told her that she could still go to Rhodes because that person who gave the advise had gone to Rhodes the week before and had been issued with a new Visa. So that means there are at least 2 people currently in Marmaris who have broken the Law and will now face serious consequences.

The Visa clearly states that a person can only stay a total of 90 days out of 180 days. When these girls go to Dalaman to leave the country they will be arrested, detained in the airport until a translator arrives and eventually they will be fined for over staying. They will probably also recieve a ban because they tried to thawt the Law by going to Rhodes. If they can't pay the fine the ban will be increased anything up to 10 years.

Please, please, make sure your facts are 100% correct before you post. If anyone else has followed this incorrect advise and has consequently over stayed their 90 days within 180 days - You need to go to the British Consulate ASAP to obtain help and advice. They will act as a buffer between you and the poilce authorities, the consequences will still be the same, but it may not be so horrid.

p.s found this on sharon hibbles facebook page..... ouch

hull england
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Horror Story

hi matt

it was posted a few days ago wonder what happened i assume the harbour immigration would have picked up on the fact the visa was nearly invalid or did they not get to greece having been told the rules

hullman

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,915 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Horror Story

theres 75 messages attached to the status not got time to look through them all so will quickly scan through to see if theres anymore info on whats happened. matt

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Horror Story

its been on that other FB site a mentioned the other night for a few days..

21year old a wonder what site gave her the advice..

Stevie

Weymouth
Level Contributor
679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Horror Story

Absolutely, this is why you need to be 100% sure that you give the full picture. There have been a few on here giving advice on what to smuggle into Turkey in their suitcases - the result could be the same (a really nasty fine if caught).

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
751 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Horror Story

Not the site you were thinking of actually Stevie!!

I think it was on FB that she found the 'advice'. Different people giving different advice!

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Horror Story

the big difference is Keith we always said its illegal to take certain things in but loads of foke do it every day of the week..

its similar to your only allowed 1 litre bottle of spirits and then another from Dalaman when you arrive but most of us take alot more...

a hope Dalaman customs dont read this lol!!!!

lol Kirsty you a bit paranoid a actually just wondered what site it came from the site yous have been talking about i have never even looked on it..

Stevie

Edited: 19 July 2012, 19:48
Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
751 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Horror Story

Nah i'm not paranoid, just sick of the childishness on these forums.

Think it was on one of th emany FB 'Marmar's' groups where the girl got her info

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Horror Story

Kirsty if you noticed a didna even comment on the other thread so a hope your childishness is not aimed at me the world is big enough for all forums av never been on it or even new about it till yesterday cause this 1 keeps me more than busy enough..

Stevie

Edited: 19 July 2012, 20:32
FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Horror Story

p.s from what a can see it wasna this trip advisor Marmaris forum that started the slagging match..

thats all av said on it and the last cause a'm just no interested in tit for tat..

Stevie

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Horror Story

10 years ago I was working as a holiday rep in the antalya area. The old visa system was still in place and no-one working for the holiday companies at that time had work visas...there was just an understanding that every 90 days the company paid for us to go to northern cyprus/rhodes/kos etc for the day so we could purchase a new tourist visa on return.

Well, the night before one such day trip, my apartment was broken into and a bag containing my passport was among the things stolen! I had to go to the jandarma then the british consulate in antalya to order a new passport. When the new passport arrived it had no visa sticker in it and obviously I was now well over the 90 days. I was so stressed, going between the jandarma and the polis but nobody really knew what to do.saying they hadn't come across this before!

When I came to fly home I was so panicked I got my dad to come out just so he could fly home with me lol

I was expecting the worst but, by some miracle, at half 3 in the morning at a very busy antalya airport, I got some young guy who couldn't speak a word of english. He was completely baffled by the lack of a visa sticker and, after a good few minutes pondering it, he eventually just stamped an empty page and let me through!

I can't believe how lucky I was but would never want to go through that stress again :(

Sel

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris