We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke-on-Trent...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

I'm a single mum off to Turkey for the first time with 3x (6,6,15) children and have no idea how much money to take for the 2 weeks as we're SC. Also, as things are so tight, i wondered if anyone knew whether it would be advisable for me to take sterling and change cash when i'm over there?

Please help - the stress is killing me before i even get there :-(

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Yes, definitely change your £s in Turkey.

Get, say £50 or £100 worth of TL, before you leave so that you've got some for the first day or so. Then you can suss out the best places to change your money in the resort.

Change your money in multiples of £10 or £100, then you'll be able to easily work-out in your head how many TL you should expect to get. Less chance then of a "mistake". Wherever you change your money make sure that YOU count it before leaving the counter.

Have a great time.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 16:35
rotherham
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

I must agree with KayaKoy we have always took sterling where ever we have gone in Turkey and changed there as you get a better rate than you do in the UK..As stated above we take about £100 in lira for when we first arrive,always use the safe at your accomadtion to keep your money and passports etc in..

Have a great holiday Turkey is a lovely country.

Enjoy :)

WENDY

Weymouth
Level Contributor
679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

We got 2.72 to the £ today in Thomas Cook in Weymouth.

The rate at the moment is 2.826 to the £.

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Hi Francine - I've done Marmaris on a budget before too so I will try to help. The other guys are right, defo change your money when you get out there. Its hard to say exactly how much you should need for your hols, but the general advice on here is take as much as you can afford - you can always bring it back with you!

If you're SC then go to the big supermarket (small ones are more expensive) and stock up on essentials, esp water and soft drinks as these can really add up if you have kids! The markets are also very good for cheap fruit etc. You can eat out relatively inexpensively - kebabs and wraps are a great lunch and the kids will prob love them. You can get all-days breakfasts in some places for less than a couple of quid. Some of the DE's on here have just got back from Marmaris and we're getting set meals in some restaurants for as little as 15 lira (about a fiver) per person for 4 courses I think! Hopefully one or two of them will be on at some point to give you better advice re names of places to go.

The kids will love Marmaris, have a great holiday :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Francine we are a family of 4 who also self-cater and get by on £100 a day in Dalyan which from all accounts is more expensive than Marmaris. There seem to be lots of set meal offers which will save you money.

Fill the fridge with soft drinks and juice and the kids can drink in the apartment instead of you buying them endless drinks at the bar, soft drinks are very expensive!! Also makes them get out of the sun during the day.

Don't over order food at mealtimes, portion sizes tend to be pretty huge, order say three meals and ask for a plate then the little ones can share your meals. Many restaurants will give you free balloon bread and kids often eat free!! We hardly ever order a starter as the main courses are big as I said.

Tell the kids you are on a budget but if everyone is careful you will all have a good time.

If you like a drink it's a good idea to get your favourite bottle at duty free then you can have a drink on your balcony before you go out in the evening.

You will also find the little ones are free or half price on trips and as lunch is included you'll just need say a small meal that evening.

I'm always amazed how far spending money goes in Turkey, and the exchange rate is good at the moment.

If you have room in your case you could bring their favourite cereal with you however the bakeries are amazingly cheap and the bread is so lovely it's like a meal on itself with the local bread and jam. My son used to eat loads of it with chocolate spread!!

Please don't stress, your kids are sure to meet other kids and you'll have a great time out there.

Enjoy CG x

6. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2012, 21:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Sorry for double posting, silly iphone!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Where ever you change your money count it back on the counter when they give it to you.

We were short changed of 20TL despite the bloke counting it twice in front of us.

It was only when my husband started to count it back 20TL miraculously appeared from under the counter.

This was in Calis beach and the only time its happened to us,but I have read of it happening elsewhere.

scotland
Level Contributor
178 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Hi Francine,one simple rule is DON'T exchange money at any shop with the flashing electronic screens above their premises which initially looks like a good rate....most will rip you off.Ask around your accommodation where people are exchanging money,usually a shop,restaurant or bar will give good rates without all the slight of hand shenanigans encountered in official looking exchange places.

Harrogate UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should i change my spending money when i get to Turkey?

Hi Francine, I found it useful to go armed with Lira and Sterling all the time - so I'd get the restaurant bill in Lira, and then ask for the price in Sterling... sometimes it was cheaper to pay in Sterling than Lira. The Ayhan (Siteler end of Marmaris) is really good value (set meals 15lira) and there other many cheap places to eat. I'd recommend taking coffee and perhaps a toilet roll or 3 with you.... save buying them out there. If you are shopping for clothes, again ask for both prices and haggle like mad - be prepared to walk out without anything. Works a treat. You will have a great time and will be planning your next trip out there as soon as you get back. Enjoy! Oh and dont forget the factor 50!x

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris