We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

There have been several posts recently regarding people coming home to huge phone bills by not having turned off their Data Roaming whilst abroad. It is hugely expensive to use the internet with your phone whilst abroad, unless you are using wi-fi which in most cases should be free.

If you are not sure how to switch this feature off, just ask and in most cases there will be someone who will reply with an answer for you. Better to be safe than sorry !!!!

Martin.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

good stuff martin, ive put it on the right hand side under top questions. matt

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

Viber is a brilliant App which saved me a fortune. As long as the person you are calling has the App it will be a free call. BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING A WIFI CONNECTION.

Martin.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

Viber is an excellent FREE app, free messages & calls via wifi connection. As Martin says the person you are calling or messaging has to have the App installed.

Some people might think the App is cr@p, but for the duration your away in the resort and most places having wifi, it will save you a lot of money.

Alan

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

I struggle with this. When I go away the phone is turned off and turned on again once I get home. For me personally I like getting away from it all. I alway leave the hotel number in case of emergencys. But when I'm on holiday I have no intrest in going on twitter etc, it's refreshing to get away from modern technology. But that's just me lol Zoe

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

bump!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

just to update this thread there is also another App Called WhatsApp... pretty similiar in how it works via wifi and you can text and call., added bonus is you can also send photos via WhatsApp for free. matt

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

I always find phone cards are reasonable enough if you are calling home to a land-line, still use my mobile on wifi constantly though as nearly everywhere does free wifi :-)

Davie..

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

I love that about Marmaris too Davie, everywhere has free wifi lol, went to Cyprus this year and you had to pay for it in many places.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

ye they are very reasonable and cheap to ring landlines davy... do you have any idea if they expire after a length of time i have 2 in the drawer from june this year. matt

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Data Roaming, Always Turn Off Before You Go Away !

Lol Matt, not sure about that but i would think if there is time on it, it will still be valid :-)

Gets me into trouble a lot Suz as I have an update while out with the wife, every time she comes back from the toilet iv got the phone out, lol

Davie :-)

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris