We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pharmacy Warning!!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Pharmacy Warning!!

normally i swear by the pharmacy's in resort but just been messaged a horror story from a friend.... he got an ear infection whilst in marmaris and went to the pharmacy for medication.... they prescribed him his pills and off he went. the dosage however was far too strong and nearly caused him to have a cardio fit from which he could have died... the docs in uk confirmed his horror. hes now off work with heart problems. so be careful with over the counter drugs.... shocking really we usually always stock up but wont again after this. matt

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

Scary stuff Matt. Hope your mates ok but thanks for that. I often stock up on antibiotics when Im away too but I'll think twice from now on.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

I hope your mate is okay.

Alan

Edited: 20 August 2012, 20:51
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

I hope your friend is OK Matt but I have noticed the drugs are a lot stronger in Turkey than the ones we are prescribed in the UK.

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

Yes you need to be careful. I had forgotten one of my medications and the dose I got from the chemist was twice what I was used to.

Hope your friend is ok

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

Thanks he's more a friend of a friend but still not good all the same!

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

My daughter had an ear infection whilst we were away 2 weeks ago, I too was going to take her to the pharmacy to get antibiotic eardrops, (being the cheaper option). But after speaking to the rep, he made me think twice as he said if I didn't treat it correctly, her eardrum may burst on the plane. Not wanting to take any chances and my daughter was inpain, I took her along to the ahu Hetman hospital, this was my 2nd visit here and must say what a clean & efficient hospital. It cost me approx £70 before I could see the doctor (which had to be paid in Lira), he inspected my daughters ears and informed me it was only an outer ear infection poss caused from swimming under water, he promptly cleared my daughters ears of any wax to aid healing (she didn't feel a thing and it took seconds). Then he gave me 4 items on a prescription and a fit to fly report. It cost me a further 25 lira for the prescription of penicillan, antibiotic eardrops, anti inflammatory eardrops and ibuprofen. Part of me had wished I had just gone to the chemist as these are the items which I would have bought anyway.

But reading the above warning, i'm glad I did go to the hospial now,. But what I have done is kept the boxes off the medicines given and the doses, so if it happens again next year I can just buy them.

I wish your friends, friend well, thanks for the warning.

Tracey

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

I'm so glad I've just read this. I was going to get some antibiotics as I've got a bit of an ear infection but don't think I'll bother now!

co.durham
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

I bought amoxacillen in marmaris and they were a 1000 milligrams so I just halted them

co.durham
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

That should have said halved sorry x

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pharmacy Warning!!

Amoxillin is sold in 500mgs and 1000 mgs in the pharmacys,if you buy the 1000 mgs they tell you to only take one tablet twice a day.

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris