We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing Changes!

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Packing Changes!

Hi all,

I have just finished my packing (for tomorrow, woo-hoo!) and it made me think!

Has anyone noticed how packing and what we pack has changed over the years? How much more complicated it has become?

This will be noticed more by the “older” ones amongst us.

In the “olden days”, 25 – 30 years ago, we packed clothes and… well a bar of soap, toothbrush/toothpaste and a towel.

Now we have to consider adding such items as chargers for the phone, the laptop and the iPad. Ladies have such items as hair dryers, electric hair tongs and crimpers and enough makeup/sun cream/sunblock to stock Arkwright’s!

At one time we all went B&B and S/C was a very rare thing. Now many people pack tea bags, coffee and artificial sweetener as standard. Some go further and pack pasta, pasta sauces, packet soups and cereals and some very strange items needing batteries.

The list of items we pack grows apace whilst the luggage allowance falls!

I remember about 31 years ago, just after Jean and I got together, buying a “package” holiday to Portugal and there was no restriction as to the amount of luggage we were allowed! Now for many it is a paltry 15 kg!

I have packed this morning, what I consider a bare minimum of clothes and other items required, for a two week stay and managed to keep it down to 18kg. This will give me a little extra room for some new t-shirts etc. on the way back. But I don’t think I could have stayed within 15kg. Oh yes… and Jean has not finished packing yet so I could have to open the suitcase again at any time!

Peter & Jean. :o)

Edited: 09 September 2012, 08:47
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing Changes!

Strange items requiring batteries.. that cracked me up!

Being only 23, I never had to experience packing 10 years ago when a bar of soap and enough clothes to see you through the fortnight. I remember my Mum being able to pack for 8 of us in a single day.

But since growing up and doing my own thing, booking my own holidays and all that it doesn't seem as easy as it used to look. Packing is not easy anymore- Keeping two weeks worth of what we now call "essentials" and keeping it under 15kg seems an impossible task. Last year, the night before we left my girlfriend was frantically throwing things out of her case and weighing it again. By the end of it she only had half of what she intended to take (She never would have needed it anyway) LOL

Amazing, however, she packed all her stuff in her case the other day and it only weighs 12KG, And is adamant that she doesn't need nothing else. With 4 weeks to go tomorrow, Im sure that weight will slowly creep up!

Edited: 09 September 2012, 09:11
hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing Changes!

toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, dental floss, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, hairmousse, spray-wax, serum, funky-gum, straighteners, hair-dryer, hairbrush, comb, body moisturiser, deodrant, suntan cream, after-sun, razors, shaving gel, face moisturiser, face wipes, contact-lenses, saline, mascara, eye-shadow, lip-gloss, lip-balm, blusher, highlighter, blemish-stick, make-up brushes, nail varnish and remover, nail file, tweezers, euro plug, phone charger, ipod charger, camera charger, earplugs, snorkel, bikinis, sunglasses, clothes, selection of shoes/bags and beach towel.

Us women dont pack light these days!

Enjoy your hols Peter :)

Essex
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing Changes!

Peter and Jean,

I know exactly what you mean, we went on our first package holiday 40 years ago with Clarksons, on our honeymoon and I don`t remember a baggage allowance, or extra charges!

Bon-vogage you two and have a wonderful holiday!

Kath

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing Changes!

well we're going next Sat and a'm only taking 1 bag and 2 rucksacks i aint taking alot of cr@p for a week...

suz your defo no right lol!!!

Stevie

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing Changes!

peter and jean that was a great read,have a fab holiday,stevie im with you mate lol,suz my gf packs what you do,wimmen eh

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing Changes!

Im not naturally attractive!! I need all that sh/t to look even half-way decent! pmsl

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing Changes!

aw suz your doing yourself an injustice

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing Changes!

Haha its ok Stephen, I was only kidding lol, I have oodles of self-confidence!

But i love my girly lotions n potions :)

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing Changes!

big lols to that

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,915 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing Changes!

10 shorts 10 t-shirts, toothbrush and toothpaste.......................... me done :)