We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marmaris in December

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Marmaris in December

Hi everybody

Me and my family are planning to go to Marmaris towards the end of december and was looking for any pointers in terms of a good hotel (that is open) and what kind of activities are running in December. I know the weather is not going to be great but this is the only time I can take off.

Also it possible to cover both Marmaris and Fethiye in 4 days and if so, are we better off staying in Dalaman and making a day trips to Marmaris and Fethiye.

Finally, what is the best way to get around

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marmaris in December

Marmaris is not a winter destination, very little will be open, a few bars/ restaurants around the marina, a very small number of hotels, little if any attractions and very few flights.

The tourist season for Marmaris and it's surrounding areas traditionally from the first week in May until the last week in October.

Edited: 15 November 2012, 22:43
Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marmaris in December

hi laurence, agree with nottsuk i wouldnt fancy visiting marmaris area so late in the year. the weather will be unpredictable and cold. if its not the weather your going for and its the exploring side then ye probably would be great as resort would be very quiet. just not many things open and no trips running. matt

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marmaris in December

I wouldn't really advise you to stay in Dalaman itself - there are a couple of large typical "airport hotels" - but I haven't necessarily read anything good about them, and Dalaman itself is just a small town.

Fethiye might be a better bet for you to stay - it is a "working town" so most of life continues as usual through the winter and a number of hotels remain open. Also plenty of restaurants open all year. Good base to explore from - the abandoned Greek village "ghost town" at Kayakoyu and do some hiking in the area, visit the beautiful blue lagoon at Olu Deniz (the resort itself basically will be shut up). You can get easily to both places by dolmus (mini bus). If you hired a car then you could easily explore ancient ruins further afield - Tlos, Pinara, Xanthos, Letoon, Patara etc - about 90 min drive at most from Fethiye.

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Letoon
Letoon
53 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marmaris in December

Hi Laurence H

Totally agree with Atagul on post 3.

Fethiye will definitely be the best choice, especially in december. As it's a working seaside town, they'll be plenty to see and do. It has a lovely harbour with really great restuarants and can be walked for miles. Shopping is also good in Fethiye with a very interesting and authentic part which is the old Paspatur. Loved walking up the hills to see the old houses.

Fethiye makes an ideal base, when you wish to see many of the sites that are close to this region. Dolmushes are good to get around in and pretty regular and cheap. As you only have 4 days I would try and enjoy Fethiye and it's surrounding neighbours. If you feel confident enough to drive out there, this would give you a chance to see more of the area. If you're interested the link below might come in useful. Don't know if they'll be open for business in december but they have an excellent reputation in the area.

http://www.tinyakropol.com/

Fethiye and it's surroundings are soo beautiful and scenic that you will definitely, want to go back again!

If whilst there you still wish to see and visit Marmaris, you can always get a coach from the otagar terminal and visit for the day. It will probably take around 3 hours, but personally I would leave Marmaris for the proper season as it's well worth having a whole holiday in!

As Atagul has already said there isn't much for a tourist to enjoy in Dalaman. I spent a few hours walking and driving around this town, done a bit of jewelery shopping but wouldn't want to be based there.

Good Luck and enjoy

Nil

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Scotland
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marmaris in December

Laurence I have to agree with Attagul and Nil and would go for Fethiye as a base. Their advice is spot on and Fethiye is a great place to be based or spend a few days exploring further afield.#

Have a good time whatever you decide

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marmaris in December

thanks everybody what about bodrum

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marmaris in December

needs to be southern turkey to stand any chance of warmer temps.matt

MARMARIS
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marmaris in December

i looked out of the window this morning 8.30am and the roof and windscreen of my car was white with frost, i think it must be the first frost of this winter in armutalan.

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marmaris in December

Are you going to be there for New Year? If so you will enjoy the festivities...Also have you booked flights?? Not easy at this time of year. I am having trouble finding anything myself other than Thomas Cook, which does not go on the days I want!

The weather is unpredictable, but it can be reasonable, and Marmaris is a town so there are always bars and cafes open.

I live near Marmaris for some of the year and do not know what other resorts would be like. I wouldn't opt for staying in Dalaman as it is small with only village type shops etc.

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marmaris in December

Glynda this post is from November last yr !!!!

Martin.

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris