We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phones

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Mobile Phones

Can you recommend the best thing to do, i have a pay as you go orange iphone and I'd send less then 50 texts the whole two weeks which would only be to people in Marmaris maybe a few phone calls encase we lose each other at night or something lol. I've not got a clue about top ups and networks over there!

Lynsey

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phones

Hi Lynsey-Marmaris_2013,

Jean and I have Virgin pay as you go and had no problems.

However, obviously the cost is a little more for texts etc.

Speak to Orange and ask for their overseas costs. You will need to tell them you will be using the phone in Turkey anyway.

If the prices are ok with you then go for it. Top up with enough time before you go!

BUT...Remember to turn of the "Roaming" facility or you could lose the cash on your phone very quickly!

I expect someone more expert than me on phones will come along soon and tell you about local SIM cards.

Peter & Jean. :o)

Everton
Level Contributor
244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phones

Download what's app as long as u have wifi texts and picture messages r free heard someone mention viber unsure about this one ment 2 b free calls as long as u have wifi your friends will need 2 have downloaded it aswel make sure u turn your data roaming off

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phones

As RichieEverton says download "whatsapp" or "viber" as most places offer free wi-fi in the resort. When you get to your Hotel / Apartment place ask the staff for the wi-fi password, also when your in Bars & Restaurants just ask a member of staff for the password.

As long as your connected via wi-fi it's free.

Alan :)

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phones

Best bet is to use one off the free apps mentioned already, and when you can't access WiFi just send an actual sms.

Here is the costs on your orange payg sim

http://www.orange.co.uk/roaming/turkey/

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phones

Meant to say if you do use your orange sim and it needs topped up the best bet would be to link your debit card with it, then all you need to top up is the last 4 digits and the security code. You can top up this way through calling 450 for free or by using the orange plus app on your phone!

Harrogate, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Phones

if your phone isnt locked to orange you could buy a turkcell sim to use whilst on hols

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Phones

I don't think getting a turkish sim would be cost efficient unless all your friends have Turkish sims too, the cost of calls and sms to British mobile numbers is just as dear as it is on Orange,

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile Phones

You will have to register your mobile phone with a Turkish Mobile Network, because as soon as you put a sim card in the phone it will be blocked, regardless if you mobile phone is unblocked.

You can take your unblocked phone to Turkcell or another Mobile Shop in the resort and purchase a Turkish Sim Card and ask to register the phone, it can take up to 72 hours for the registration to be processed. To register the phone is only about 5 or 10 lira, but the Sim Card is a lot more, but will come with credit on it.

Also when you go to register the mobile phone, you'll need your passport for I.D.

Alan :)

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile Phones

I'm on orange/tmobile contract and I just turn data off and use free wifi and txt out there, on the odd occasion have called when group have separated. Never had a big bill once..

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
774 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile Phones

If you register your phone in resort for a Turkish sim you need to go to the tax office & pay about 150 tl. No point for just one holiday, easier to use apps

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris