We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money!!

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Money!!

do I change my money in england? or when I get to turkey? any advise appreciated! Thanks

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money!!

hi, always exchange in resort for a better rate, try avoid the exchange booths as they tend to try scam you...... many trip agencies/restaurants and also supermarkets are best to exchange your money.... hotels will also exchange at a reduced rate to other places. matt

Level Contributor
449 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money!!

Do they take travellers cheques ? I don't really want to be taking lots of cash over to change cxxx

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money!!

As Matt says exchange in the resort and avoid the exchange booths / kiosks.

Alan :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money!!

aw thanks for your help! do you have any idea of the exchange rate over in turkey?

im not sure but i wouldnt advise putting your money on one of them cards .. they take a percentage everytime you get money out haha! in malia there was very limited places to take your travellers cheques ..not sure about turkey tho! x

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money!!

Exchange rate in the resort is around 2.70 / 2.72.

Alan :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money!!

excellent, thanks so much :) cant wait now!!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money!!

heard it was 2.73 in resort but if changing at cash machine with debit card you would get more near 2.76. the only place that springs to mind about travellers cheques is A&S travel and as far as im aware you would get the same rate as if you were exchanging with sterling but never used travellers cheques so not 100% certain. most places would give you a slightly lower rate for the cheques. matt

Edited: 23 April 2013, 22:19
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Money!!

thank you! its 2.62 here so much better :) x

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money!!

Dont take travellers cheques, they are becoming less and less widely used. Some places may still accept them but you will get a lower rate and may be charged commission. I work for a major bank and as of 1st May we are stopping selling them completely. If you're uncomfortable taking a large amount of cash then use your debit card to withdraw funds from one of the many ATMs in resort (check with your bank first to see if you'll be charged for overseas withdrawals). Or have a look at a Caxton FX card - these are becoming increasing popular. We usually take a small amount of Turkish lira with us then use my debit card to withdraw funds once we're in resort.

Level Contributor
449 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money!!

Ok thanks shame there scrapping travellers cheques I feel that there really safe compared to using ATMS have had cards swollowed by ATMs abroad before and had bag pinched with card in once so ended up with no money ! At least with travellers cheques you could get replacement wherever you were !

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris