We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional wedding present?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Traditional wedding present?

Going over and staying in Marmaris for 7 nights in September. Just me and my wife. It will be our first vacation to Turkey so we are both looking forward to it. The purpose of our trip is we are going to a colleague of my wife's wedding. After the wedding we aim to explore all that Marmaris has to offer but the aim of my post is to establish if there are any traditional gifts for us to give to the bride and groom? Also what etiquettes/traditions should we be aware of (if any) at traditional Turkish weddings? Have a great day. Thank you

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional wedding present?

turkishclass.com/columns/alameda/2009/12/03/…

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional wedding present?

If it is a traditional wedding then the gifts are gold or money :) No multiple giving of toasters or towels here!

Once here you can select a piece of gold jewellery if this friend is female or you can buy gift gold which are special coins.

These range from quarter,half to full called ceyrek altın(jay-rek al-tun),yarı and tam.They come in a little gift box complete with a pin and red bow.

After the marriage ceremony there will be a gift giving ceremony and you'll see both bride and groom have a band of ribbon around their necks and the guests pin the gold coins onto it.

If not gold then you can also attach bank notes too- TL,Euro,US$ all acceptable!

If you buy a piece of jewellery then you fasten this to the bride and then to the groom either a gold coin or bank notes.

After this is finished then the dancing will start.Usually there is a small live band but sometimes just a DJ.Either way the dancing will go on for a long time so wear comfortable shoes :)

BTW,If the bride has her head covered,i.e not just a veil but a full Muslim head covering then your wife can kiss her but not you,nor even shake hands with her.You can put your right hand over your heart and give her a polite bow of the head-and then a good hand shake with the groom.

Turkish weddings are great,enjoy!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional wedding present?

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer in such detailed fashion. It is really appreciated. Better go off at lunchtime and buy some gold then!!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional wedding present?

If you would like to give gold then it will be better for you to wait until you are here in Turkey.Gold shops abound here and,whilst the price of gold is the same the world over,the cost of labour is much cheaper here meaning you get much better vaule for money and the deisgns are exquisite.

On the other hand of course,maybe it would be a bad idea to let your wife loose in these places,it could end up an expensive trip :))

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional wedding present?

She will love that but I don't think I will pass that information on to her. Thank you again for your help

6. Re: Traditional wedding present?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:18