We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sterling travellers cheques???

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sterling travellers cheques???

Hi we are travelling to Turkey in August, and dont fancy carrying a lot of cash on us, does anyone know if we will have problems cashing Sterling travellers cheques over there?? will we get the same rate as english cash?? and advice welcome thanks.

fife,scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

I would advise not to take travelers cheques 2 much hassle,you are better with english money and change it in resort.You can also use a debit card plenty of atms there

Weymouth
Level Contributor
679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

We used to take Travellers Cheques, but were advised they were a hasstle to change.

Last year we took some cash to start with and put the rest on a Thomas Cook Cash Passport card. It cost about £20 to load £1,400 on the card, and it works in all the ATMs and also acts as a Debit Card as it is a Mastercard. You can also get a balance on it if you have access to Wifi.

We had no problems at all with it. The only thing I would advise if you are going to take out cash do it in larger amounts as you do get charged about £1.50 per withdrawal - but then that is no different really from getting commission charges on Travellers Cheques

Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

Hi, just returned a week ago, took travellers cheques much prefer these to the cards and cash etc, had no problems got same rates etc, however we did cash them at hotel reception so unsure abt else where in resort, but like I say we had no problem what so ever, oh and even used them in Dalaman airport and was given the change in sterling

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
17,035 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

The problem with changing them at your hotel there rate would be atleast 10 points less you could have had that will all add up by the end of your hol and a can imagine what rate Dalaman airport gave you :(((

Stevie

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

Dalaman airport charged me in sterling and gave me the correct change in sterling it was a £100 cheque I spent £60 and got £40 change so there were no charge! Also the rate in the hotel was always averagely the same as other places in resort, infant slighter better then some places, I am just trying to give the person asking the question advice based on my experience so they can make a informed decision, if Dalaman charged me to use them or I was getting a lower rate for them I would have stated this originally

Level Contributor
449 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

I think even if there's a little charge with travellers cheques or a bit of a lower rate its worth it for piece of mind ! If you lost your ATM card or your cash you would be buggerd ! No problem if you loose the cheques x

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

Sorry Stevie read that back and it sounds like I'm having a go at u, honestly didn't mean it to come across that way :/ just wanted to make sure the poster knew that was a genuine experience I had with them, and that I'd not hidden facts abt charges etc, apologies again :)

Edited: 10 July 2013, 21:18
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

Not sure why I'm showing as posting as on my partners account :/ it's lusvcandan btw Stevie

Bellshill, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

Hi

We used travellers cheques last year had no problem changing them in resort but with a lower rate and by the end of the holiday It does add up ! If I was you I would take English money and hire a safe from your hotel

Ashley

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
17,035 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sterling travellers cheques???

Dont worry Lusvcandan av had far worse on here lol!! the point a'm trying to make at Dalaman yes you got £40 back but you would have paid over the odds for whatever you bought cause there Lira rate is shocking a'm sure it was something like 2.50 best to pay in Sterling at airport and a'm no against anybody using travellers Cheques theres a few places give you full rate A&S Travel being 1 but most places will take off a commission or give a lower rate..

Stevie

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris