We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
495 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

Well, been back a few days now and had time to reflect on our 14 night stay in Marmaris.

Whilst I fully appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion and indeed everyone's holiday experience will be unique to themselves, we in fact have now had quite enough of the resort at this stage.

There are several reasons for this, however I would say that principally the resort seems to be going backwards in time and the "Hassle" factor is ever increasing and became quite desperate on more than one occasion, culminating in the good lady having to hold me back by the arm two seperate times. This seems to be reflected in some recent topics re bars closed / all inclusive etc. This may also be as a result of fewer people about as this was noticeable as well compared to previous years.

We made the holiday ourselves and chose where we wanted to eat / drink on an evening and admittedly had some lovely meals whilst there.

I like many others here, work hard, often scrimping to save the extra spends to book and enjoy our holiday, but, and it's an important but, I / we are not saving all year to go on holiday and be bullied and harrassed every time we step out of our hotel, which happened nearly every night of our two weeks.

Again, I fully appreciate every one has their own holiday experience, but certainly Marmaris has burned itself out for us and at this stage it would be very realistic of me to say that we are not planning to return there in the near future, if at all.

To those that are yet to go, please go and enjoy and make of the resort as you will...................

I thank you all for any previous help and assistance and wish all of you a safe and happy future.

Dave

sunderland
Level Contributor
570 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

A very honest and understandable review davey. good luck with your next holiday location of choice.

Coventry, England...
Level Contributor
108 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

were flying out in 10 days with 2 boys (7) and (16). were turkey virgins so don't know what to expect as we usually go to salou as the flight duration was less for the boys.

sometimes holiday destinations do get too mundane and same old, same old and now you can look into exploring somewhere new to travel =)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,032 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

welcome home dave, hope you managed to have a good holiday despite the hassle etc. we felt the same really this year...........thought it was the worst weve encountered for a long time. we will also be no longer booking our main family holiday to marmaris that we normally do in june, instead we are going to do long haul for that and have 1 week in september in marmaris instead so we can still see friends weve made over the years. matt

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

im sad to hear that Dave,we talked about somewhere else for next year but decided on Marmaris again,but the Marmaris now to the Marmaris of years ago in unrecognizable.

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

That,s a real shame u feel like that, have, nt been to marmaris for a few years, there was hassle then, but not as much as Kenya and Egypt. Every year go to goa, and a great place to chill out.food and drink is also half the price of turkey. Dave maybe think of another area of turkey such as hisaroni?

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

welcome back Dave i think a lot of people are now thinking that way. We are seriously thinking of somewhere else next year, but who knows,

crateegg

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
640 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

im starting to worry about my holiday in september. we loved marmaris when we went three years ago but im starting to worry that going back will be a let down :(

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
495 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

Not really a question of the resort being mundane or anything else related to other destinations in Turkey. Had a couple of conversations with restaurant owners whilst there and without a doubt the AI concept is having a major effect on the resort and ultimately the owners are being squeezed in to a corner and having to fight even more for the customers shilling's. Even to the extent of being sworn at for not going in to a particular shop and indeed the little tet a tet I had with a barber in the bazaar area when a polite no thank you had been given.

Dont mind a bit of banter and a laugh, I am Jockinese after all, however have to draw a line somewhere.

Got a wee holiday to Palma Nova coming up in October then it will be no more foreign holidays for a while as buying a caravan (again) so that we can do what we want, when we want and take the grandkids with us if we choose...............

Dave

sunderland
Level Contributor
570 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

you will love it sarah. im sure this is just the opinion of a few of us on here that have done marmaris to death hun. sometimes a place we all love just loses its appeal for a number of reasons. go and enjoy x

Level Contributor
449 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marmaris Burn Out.....................No Going Back for us!!

Is the hassle that bad ? Do they swear even if you have kids with you ? I really don't want to expose my little one to agressive and bad language ! He doesn't hear it at home so I don't expect him to hear it on holiday and I know if people start been agressive and foul mouthed it will upset him ! Got to say I am starting to feel more apprehension than excitement of late !

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris