We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Hi,

Well I have booked a holiday for me and my mum leaving 6th September to mamaris turkey (Grand hotel Azure) I have been speaking to a few people thats got me very worried about the possible war going on in Syria? Please help!!! Is it dangerous to go there at the moment? My mum hasn't been on holiday for over 10 years and this has got her very nervous!

Thank you x

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Marmaris is over 1,000 miles away from Syria. Get a map and have a look!

Go and enjoy your holiday, you wont even know anything about Syria while you are there.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Thank you so much!! People probably just trying to dampen my holiday mood lol! I haven't been to turkey before so all new to me! Thank you again x

Marmaris, Turkey
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Do not worry about marmaris. U will be safe

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

the distance to the border is phenominal..... you wont know anything is going on.matt

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Hi Jo

From Marmaris to Gaziantep just north of the Syria border is about 600 miles. It's nothing to worry about. We were out last year when Turkey & Syria were "going at it" and although you knew stuff was happening (seen a couple of military helicopters) and one wee pick up truck going around trying to pick up "volunteers", if it hadn't been all over the news, you wouldn't have had a clue there was anything going on.

Colin

Cardiff
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Thank you again! Very greatful! If it was me and friends traveling i wouldn't be as worried.. but my mums in her 60s and I was worried for her.

:) x

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Nothing to worry about at the moment,Cameron and Obama are seeking a UN resolution to use any means necessary to protect Syrian civilians,Turkey will back any resolution passed,Iran Russia and China will vetoe any UN resolution,both Iran and Russia have a vested interest in Assad maintaining power.

Turkeys foreign minister Ahmet Davutoglu stated that Turkey would join any international coalition if no UNSC resolutions are passed.

What does all this mean for us going to Marmaris? Not a lot really,Turkey also borders Iraq and 2 gulf wars didnt stop people going on holiday,the recent troubles in Libya didnt stop people going to Tunisia and Morocco and people still going to red sea resorts in Egypt and we all know what going on over there.

When the FO issues a warning about all but essential travel to Turkey than thats when to start changing plans,we go in 31 days and cant wait.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Foreign travel advice for Turkey

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Alan :)

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
886 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Jo H Don't worry your mam will be fine I am going on the 2nd and I am in my 60s. Was a bit downhearted at the goings on in Marmaris but I am ok today and looking forward to it. The good people on here have put my mind at rest. :)

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mamaris - Turkey (Safe at the moment?????)

Jo h u have nothing to worrie about. Me and my fiancée r going on the 6th September staying at d-resort grand azure properly same hotel as you.

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris