We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers with small children

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
First timers with small children

Hi we have just booked up for Marmaris in October half term the kids will be 7 and 4. We have only ever taken them to Menorca before which is very quiet. Since booking we have heard nothing but negative things about Marmaris not being suitable for young kids, the weather will be awful, none of the trips will be running etc. Can anyone put my mind at rest I havent made an expensive mistake?!

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers with small children

Since I was a toddler (I'm 35 now) my family went to Marmaris almost every summer, even before they bought an apartment there in 1990. Back then it was actually better for kids, as we cycled around in a less crowded town, and mom used to sent me to a nearby farm to get daily milk straight out of the cow. Now that farmer opened a kebab house and the cow is no more :)

Today's Marmaris may be better for grown ups, as it has grown into a city (not an overgrown coastal town like the rest of the towns in that region, it has a real city feel) with hundreds (perhaps thousands) of shops and restaurants. That doesn't mean it is not acceptable for kids, but it means they can't go outside your sight and are confined to the pool/beach/aquapark areas (as opposed to chasing grasshoppers or building a hut in the forest, which I was able to do 25-30 years ago).

The weather in october may or may not be nice. Here "not nice" might mean somewhat cooler or some clouds, i.e. not nice for sunbathing, but many people (including) me would prefer that to the 40+C blazing heat of July-August. At least you will be able to get out of the AC-equipped rooms in daytime. Just pack a jacket and trousers etc. for each family member in case it gets colder. Expect daytime to be in the 20-30C range and nighttime to be in the 10-20C, chance of rain: 15-27%

Many people visit Marmaris year after year, and like it. So give it a chance.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 08:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers with small children

What a lovely post NKT!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers with small children

Try not to worry too much.

Marmaris is a very busy, lively resort but at the end of October it will have quietened down a lot so you wont get any mad party goers around.

The weather could be a bit cloudy, maybe an odd shower but it could equally well be lovely and warm. It does get chilly at night so make sure you all have something warm to wear in the evening and bring some warm PJs for the kids.

In the main resorts most trips will run right up to the last day of the season. Sometimes boat trips wont go if the sea is rough but everything else should be ok.

I have been to Turkey with my children in October half term a few times and we have alwasy had a lovely time. It is great to go shopping at the end of season too as you can get lots of bargains!

So ignore all the doom mongers and start looking forward to your holiday :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers with small children

On top of what the previous posters say, the sea will be warm (around 24-25 degrees C). Also, on sunny days you will have some wonderful beach time without the blazing heat of summer months when the sunscreen creams are obsessively used.

It is too long until next October to be worried. I am sure you will have some lovely time.

Borus

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers with small children

Hello roquetiger & welcome to the forum

My two kids loved going to Marmaris when they were younger, now my granddaughter (3 yrs old) goes with us. She has been twice now for a month at a time (September / early October) and has had brilliant holidays.

The bigger Self Catering places cater for kids, they have great entertainment teams and many activities / kids clubs to keep them entertained. The Bars & Restaurants are child friendly and many have play area's, game consoles etc. Some have a bouncy castle and secure play area's, then you have a mini-golf play area (lower east side of Armutalan) which has play area's, trampolines, small rides with a Cafe / Bar.

As mentioned above the weather in October can be unpredictable, I have been before and had great weather and last year had the odd thunderstorm, but saying that inbetween the thunderstorms the weather during the day was great, at night a little chilly.

Marmaris is a great place for children of all ages. I'm sure you will have a great time

Alan

Motherwell...
Level Contributor
456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers with small children

Hi

I've been taking my son to Marmaris since he was 4 I think resort caters well for kids bouncy castles mini golf swing parks games consoles arcades. The weather though unpredictable will be better than if you went to Spain at this time of year. The big family complexes cater well for kids and you are able to walk in and use there facilities even if your not staying there. I go to the club excelsior whichever has a mini disco.

Sharon

Motherwell...
Level Contributor
456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers with small children

Hi

I've been taking my son to Marmaris since he was 4 I think resort caters well for kids bouncy castles mini golf swing parks games consoles arcades. The weather though unpredictable will be better than if you went to Spain at this time of year. The big family complexes cater well for kids and you are able to walk in and use there facilities even if your not staying there. I go to the club excelsior whichever has a mini disco.

Sharon

Sunderland
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers with small children

Hi everyone thanks for the reassurance sounds like we should have a good time Ill just ignore the doom and gloomers

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers with small children

you will luv it :)

Long Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers with small children

hi you will be fine. we took our two year old granddaughter last year and all was well we are going again with her this may. so again wont get fried by the midsummer sun which is way to hot for really young ones. marmaris caters for everyone yes there are the shall we say livelier places but only if you go looking for them generaly marmaris is for families and yes the main road can be busy but we don't usually play on the main roads,we have been to marmaris six times always in sept/ October and have always had good weather but as previous posts stated you may get the odd day of showers especially towards the end of October but the sea will be almost at its warmest and not so busy so stop worrying and just have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris