We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for posting this in the Marmaris forum but you're the only people who will understand what I mean by how Marmaris used to be! We've been going for years but after last year's trip (well for us anyway) it's just not the same now and it doesn't help we've never been fans of Bar Street. A few friends have just come back and said it's even worse this year. As I say I'm not knocking Marmaris but that's just what me and my friends have found.

As I've only ever been to Marmaris I was wondering if people who had been to a few other resorts in Turkey could recommend one that has one with the old Longbeach atmosphere and those type of bars.

Oh how I miss starting the night at Barans and ending up at Seaside/Beach Club - happy days :-)

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

Like you I have noticed many changes but we decided after this holiday there would be no more holidays in Turkey for us,we are here now and having a great time but its not the same place it used to be,everything changes eventually but i do believe Marmaris's bubble has burst.

Cant say about other Turkish resorts though.

Airdrie, Scotland...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

im like yourself had enough of marmaris so this year we are trying olu deniz for a wee change . not going till august though .

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

you could try Dalyan, Side, Kemer and Olu Deniz and even perhaps Kas

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

Gone downhill for us too, we're off to Side in September

crateegg

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

I know exactly what you mean...so many people have commented over the last few months about the negative changes in Marmaris and it's decline in general. A friend of mine goes to Dalyan every year and swears by it, and to be honest it does look beautiful.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

Thanks for all the replies!

It's such a shame, honestly the best holidays I've ever had were in Marmaris, we used to stay pretty much all summer and we never seemed to stop laughing. Oh well, I've got some great memories. Makes me a bit sad though to be honest.

Will definitely be looking at Dalyan!

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,784 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

I know some people are pleased that the entertainment has now been banned in restaurants,but for us we always enjoyed having our meal and staying on for the evening for some entertainment without moving on.This last couple of weeks was so different and put a downer on the holiday for us,we mainly just went back to our apartments bar or had a few drinks on our balcony to finish off the evening,restaurants are not allowed to allow the staff to dance or have any entertainment to come in,ie break dancers,robot man etc,so nothing there to entertain families with children.if your lucky your apartments can do a Turkish night with entertainment if they pay for a permit.No problem for younger people though who can go to bar street or the places on Longbeach and of course Club Pacha in Armutalan,which my son enjoyed going to every evening and had a brilliant time in there.We are off next to Calis beach in Fethiye to sus that out,already booked for Marmaris again end of September,but seriously thinking of trying somewhere else ourselves next year also.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

be careful when booking dalyan and do your research first, whilst away on our first jaunt a couple in their late seventies had booked a hotel for 17 nights in dalyan after 3 nights they moved to the orkide hotel in marmaris due to the fact the lady was not very good on her feet and was captive in the hotel due to its location and believe it or not the bar in the hotel closed at 20.00pm the relief on their faces to be settled in a place they knew was unbelievable, we have been going to marmaris many years and have seen changes but we move to the area that suits us, there are places for everyone but research is the key as i am sure einnumber1 will second this.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

We go to marmaris every year, same hotel, same apartment. Things do change but I don't care. I get 2 weeks of doing sod all, laying on the beach having drinks and meals fetched then going out at night for a nice meal and a few beers before going back to the grind 😔. It's all about the fact it's wall to wall sunshine and I don't have to work for a fortnight for me. My only gripe is the alcohol prices but I don't drink a great deal and it's probably just as expensive in other countries so bugger it! 39 days 🎉☀️

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a resort like Marmaris - but how it used to be!

Just to mention a few; Turunc, Içmeler, Turgutreis, Çaliş, Ölüdeniz, Kaş....all smaller type of towns. If you like a bit bigger town which is a working town, (of course you see tourists all over but you will be amongst locals a lot as well) then try Fethiye. Fethiye has the most impressive promenade,

good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris