We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronic devices security check chaos at Dalaman Airport

Which Marmaris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Electronic devices security check chaos at Dalaman Airport

Checks are being carried out at Dalaman and utter chaos.

We are a well travelled family who are well aware that security checks are all part and parcel of flying. We have frequently flown to/from the USA and have went through stringent checks at every airport we have flown through, Miami and LAX being the most strict. However the chaos that ensured at Dalaman Airport last night took the biscuit.

We were flying with Jet2 to Newcastle and as usual went through security on entering the airport and prior to Passport Control. At neither point were any electronic devices checked and no electronic devices had to be removed from our hand luggage and placed in a separate tray as has become common place at other airports. Our flight departed from Gate 27 and just prior to boarding we noticed a small 2 x 4 foot table being placed on the left hand side of the gate. Two queues then formed to board the plane. The people on the right hand side were allowed to board as normal by just showing their passport and boarding passes. However the left hand side was a different situation altogether. Every male passenger regardless of age was frisked (one man was frisked twice). When I queried why they wanted to frisk my 14 year old son I was informed it was a requirement of the airline to do random checks on 50% of passengers (they then decided to frisk me as well). Everyone's passport details were written down and then the contents of hand luggage was emptied out and any electronic devices asked to be switched on. You were then given no time (and there was no space) to repack your bag.

I am all for security checks however the chaos that occurred last night was ridiculous. The bag checks were being carried out by three young girls who didn't appear to be security staff and certainly didn't seem to know what they were doing. Boarding didn't start any earlier to allow extra time for the checks to take place and therefore the flight was delayed taking off. Because passengers were being rushed to move on and not given the opportunity to repack their bags properly I am sure that several items will have gone missing.

As for the checks being random - well that is a joke. As it was clear that only one queue was being checked anyone with something to hide only had to see what was happening and them move to the other queue therefore avoiding the 'random' check queue.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electronic devices security check chaos at Dalaman Airport

first ive heard of that palaver, as you say your all for checks but seems the way is was done was daft, not only that surely by law they shouldve had a male security officer on hand incase of any guys refusing to be frisked by a woman, it would be the same if it was women being frisked by just men, which wouldve caused even more time delays.matt

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electronic devices security check chaos at Dalaman Airport

We fly back to Newcastle with jet2 monday night...hopefully it isn't a geordie thing. Lol

As for guys refusing to be frisked by young lasses...I'm sure that's not a problem...just gotta hope nowt pops up. Ding dong!

On a serious note, you'd think they would have had males doing it instead.

3. Re: Electronic devices security check chaos at Dalaman Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Marmaris