We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?

Hi, I'm taking the Kanuni Sultan Suleyman ferry from Yalova to Istanbul in September.

I'm trying to book my ferry ticket on IDO's website and it's asking me to select my seat. Help!?! Where should I sit for a nice view? The options are saloon 1, saloon 2, balcony 1 or balcony 2. I would like to sit facing the direction that the ferry is traveling in but it seems this ferry offers reverse seating and I can't figure out which way the four different options are facing.

Also, are the table seats reserved for 2+ people?

Any suggestions/tips/advice about taking ferries across the Sea of Marmara would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?

Hi - those ferries are always just about full, so it is necessary to book a seat - and sit there. The ferries a big, modern, high-speed catamarans and you no longer get a very good view.

Approaching Istanbul, you can always go and stand near the front (whichever end that happens to be at the time!).

Assuming you arrive at Yenikapi, it's quite a pleasant view, but not like it used to be when the old ferries went by the Princes Islands and ended up at Eminonu, just under Topkapi Palce.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?

Hello again. I've had a look at the website and I believe this may be one of the smaller ferries - far preferable.

Choose any seat that looks OK - table seating is nice, but there'll be two other people with you, assuming you're a couple. If it's the boat I'm thinking of, you can walk out onto a balcony at the front or back - in fact you can walk down and sit in your car, I've found.

Approaching Istanbul you'll be quite far from the main sights, but still worth a photo or three (through the haze).

Good luck.

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?

Is the balcony enclosed or is it outside? I noticed that there are only a few rows of seats in the balconies. Is that a good place to sit for a view or is it better in the saloon?

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?

If it is the ferry I'm thinking of then it's an open deck. No worries about where your seat is booked.

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?

Update: I recently took the ferry from Yalova to Yenikapi (Istanbul). Choose a seat in saloon 1 if you want to sit facing the direction that the ferry is traveling in. Also, the seats in balcony 1 or balcony 2 are open deck (nice if the weather is warm, but awful if raining or windy).

Definitely book your ticket in advance.

Reply to: Where to sit on ferry from Yalova to Istanbul?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yalova