We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport

Arizona
Level Contributor
79 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Nairobi Airport

We will be getting into Nariobi at 11:30pm and would like to be able to fly out to Entebbe earliest possible the next day.

Does anyone know if we will have to actually 'enter' Kenya, i.e. get a visa etc? Or, if we will be able to find a corner and sleep unitl our flight out the next am.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi Airport

cwalts, do you mean a Transit visa? You may not need one for transit in Nairobi airport in Kenya if you are to stay at the airport but if you are to move out to Nairobi town and stay at Nairobi hotels ( that is out of the airport), then you will need a transit visa.

If you re to sleep at the airport ,you will definitely get benches to sleep on until you get your next flight to Entebbe.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi Airport

There are not many "quiet" corners in Nairobi airport to catch a few naps. You risk a disturbed night. The only good thing is no visa required.

If it was me and depending on the outbound time to EBB I would hand over my $10 for a Transit visa and get a decent sleep in a local hotel. No need to go right into the city. There a couple near the Airport. Ask on the Kenya forum for their names.

Arizona
Level Contributor
79 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi Airport

Thanks everyone. Was not aware of the transit visa at all so that is very helpful.

C.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi Airport

Yes, get out of there because it's fairly dire.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
21 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi Airport

I slept overnight at the airport once - there's a great all-night coffee shop called Java's.

Nairobi traffic is mostly terrible so do bear that in mind - you could waste money you spend on a hotel by being stuck in traffic an hour or more each way to/from airport.

I last passed thru nairobi in March:

muzungubloguganda.com/2012/…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi Airport

I second the person who spoke about the traffic. Though it might not be ideal, if your flight is at 7am or earlier, I might recommend catching some Z's in the airport because by the time you get your luggage, head to the hotel and come back, you will have lost probably the same amount of sleep as if you were disturbed at night. Just try to sleep in a way that protects your valuables I f you have a flight at like 11, then it might be worth the trip

7. Re: Nairobi Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:15