We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early arrival and walk from airport

Wales
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Topic
Early arrival and walk from airport

Noticed a bit of a nip in the air lately and with gas and leccy prises going through the roof I thought it would be cheaper to book a flight to UG than put the central heating on.

I'm on board a Turkish Airlines flight again and as with a lot of airlines now I arrive again at daft o'clock in the morning. Not quite as early as it was last time when I arrived in the country at around 3 but when I got to my gaff the "manager" took about 30 mins to find the key to the room, So this time I am definitely hanging around the airport until sun up. So has anyone found anything to do in the airport? Is there definitely a cafe/bar open at around 4:10 in the morning?

Once again I'll be travelling with hang luggage only so I was thinking, with time to kill and once the sun is up I might take a stroll into Kitoro from the airport, has anyone done this?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

Not much use to you mate but the only Café/Br I know of is in Departure Lounge where I have forcibly lingered. On Arrivals I am out of there so fast, heading for bed at night or upcountry if light, that I scarcely notice if there is a car park let alone a Caff.

I am betting there will be as where does my meet and greet lurk if the plane is late?

Bearing in mind the Security Gate at the airport perimeter I wonder if you will have problems exiting on foot.

I would scrounge a life if it were me,

Have a good trip and keep safe.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 20:20
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,077 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

Have you checked the airport website for maps, list of cafes, etc?

Wales
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

I had assumed that there was no website for EBB and after a quick search I couldn't find one but did come up with this i-uganda.com/…Food and drink;

Mfuwe: The only other time I have walked out of an airport was at Mombasa and walked the 6 mile from the terminal to the centre of town stopping only for a couple of scoops along the way and thouroghly enjoyed the walk (and the scoops). They were very relaxed with the security in Mombasa but then again Kenyans were very relaxed with security at the Westgate shopping centres as well.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

There are definitely 2 coffee places on the ground floor accessible to the public, but I don't know if they are open at silly o'clock. One would surmise that something would be, given the number of flights going early (eg, the flrst flight to NBO.

As for walking, as mf says, they might be a little curious, especially as the security levels are raised right now, but I don't suppose there is anything to stop you from trying! There is a much-enhance presence in the car park, even with a changed layout and a member of Police sitting watching proceedings.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

I remember that even the Israelis had to fly in and out of EBB. I don't think there was a Caff in those days or maybe it was shut? Still you ARE leaving and not trying to get in.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

Trying to get in, nothing has changed. You just get out of the vehicle and walk past security, through the buzzer. Particularly, leaving your hand bags and so on in the car, so no need to be stopped for a look through.

#whichcountryamIinrightnow #headlesschicken

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,077 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

Sleepinginairports.com says there is a 24 hr concession at the airport. Crane restaurant in departure and arrival area.

I like this website for those silly hour situations.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

Alternatively, the Boma Cottages are a steal at low $s.. little-known fact. Provide free transfer and food/hot water on arrival.

Avoid mosquitos. Get out of the place where there's the greatest-known density of the blighters.

Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

I also have a flight with Turkish that arrives at ~4am. Do you know what time is the first bus to Kampala? If there is such from the airport..

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early arrival and walk from airport

Shelly. Are Boma cottages anything to do with Boma? What prices are you suggesting?

Get answers to your questions about Entebbe