We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The East African Visa.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
The East African Visa.

How will the single tourist visa be issued?

It will be issued upon application at any of the diplomatic representations of Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda, at the Immigration offices of the respective countries or online, where applicable.

Will it be different from the other visas Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda issue?

The visas for specific countries cost $50 but allow the tourist entry into only that country. he EAC single tourist visa, working like the Schengen visa for European Union countries, will allow tourists to enter any of the three countries and move freely within the other two without having to pay for another visa.

It will be a multiple-entry visa, and tourists will pay $100 for it. The length of stay for which it is issued cannot be extended, neither is the visitor permitted to work.

What prevents me from using a visa issued by the Rwanda embassy in Washington for a business meeting in Kigali to travel with it to Kenya?

Visa issued for a specific country are only used to travel to that country and not into any other EAC country.

How will it work without stamping them?

You will still be required to fill immigration forms where your length of stay in the neighboring country will be indicated and it will be logged in the system.

Are they all now machine-readable?

Yes. It is machine readable. Rwanda will provide the software for personalisation of the visa stickers to Kenya and Uganda. The software will enable the three countries to share the fees, tourist information and tourism data.

How will member states ensure it works?

Rwanda has been tasked with the duty of setting up the visa and implementing it for the first one year. This will be on rotational basis each year. Rwanda will provide the Information and Communication Technology software for personalisation of the visa stickers to Kenya and Uganda.

The software will enable the three countries to share information on fees and tourist data. So far 60,000 visa stickers have been produced and distributed, in equal numbers, to the respective high commissions and immigration offices of the three countries.

Visa fee collected will be shared among member states, with the issuing country taking $10 and the remaining $90 shared equally among member states.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The East African Visa.

I have some questions.

Is this now in operation and if not when will it be introduced?

If I buy an EAC visa, is it still valid for re-entry if I have left the EAC in the meantime? Say to Tanzania or DRC?

How long is it valid for?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The East African Visa.

Thanks UGS. Very useful - do you have a link?

I heard it was valid for 6 months. Didn't know it was going to be multiple entry. A friend's OH got from Nairobi 2 weeks ago, and is already in Rwanda using it (via here). I forgot to ask last weekend, but have a friend coming in on Thursday, will ask if he could ask them.

Kampala
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The East African Visa.

Thank you very much for this helpful information. I hope it becomes a great success.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,604 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The East African Visa.

Oh thanks for posting this! I had not heard.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The East African Visa.

It is operating already and i am not so sure about re-entry with the same visa after exiting EA countries .

6. Re: The East African Visa.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 09:05
Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The East African Visa.

Good afternoon, I plan to travel to Uganda (first) and then Rwanda and my passport is Belgian. Can I obtain a EAC Tourist Visa on arrival at Entebbe airport? Do I need to apply on the Rwandise website even if I am landing in Entebbe? Thank you very much in advance for your help. Greet.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The East African Visa.

Here is a useful link.

www.ambarwanda.be/index.php…

However I wonder whether it is worthwhile if only visiting two countries as the cost is higher than two separate Visas. However if you are returning to Uganda before departing home then it would save getting a 2nd Uganda visa.

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The East African Visa.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Yes, indeed, I will take the plane home in Entebbe again. Ill follow the instructions given by the Embassy of Rwanda. Thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The East African Visa.

Welcome.