We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Which Dnipropetrovsk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dnipropetrovsk...
8 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Day after day for us coming Euro 2012. In connection with what I decided to write a series of articles on the Travel Ukraine, a country that will take the championship. Began to talk about, I decided to travel to the city where I live, in Dnipropetrovsk.

To come to the city in different ways,

- You can fly to the airport with the help of Austrian Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Aerosvit, Dnepravia, or Aeroflot

- Come by car,

- Come on the bus. Is foreign direct flights to Russia and Germany, as well as many domestic flights within the country.

- By train. There are flights to Moscow, St. Petersburg, as it is possible to come from Kiev, from where trains to Poland and Germany. In Kiev, as an airport of Borispol, from which you can fly almost anywhere in the world.

In the history of Ukraine entered the city as the birthplace of the second president, Leonid Kuchma, the birthplace of former Prime Minister and now opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko. At the time of the Soviet Union Dnipropetrovsk region was known as the birthplace of General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev, who was born in Dneprodzerzhinsk.

What is to start with the city? I suggest starting with the introduction of the Dnieper, is the third largest river in Europe. I think you make an impression on the river a half mile wide. The best view of the river was called from the observation platform in Shevchenko Park. To get there from the city center on the waterfront. Quay Dnepropetrovsk is the longest embankment in Europe, the central part of the embankment in front of the fountain, which works from the middle of spring until the middle of autumn. On the waterfront there are several fountains, but this fountain and especially that it is located on the water. Within fifteen minutes walking you will see a bridge connecting the park Shevchenko and monastic island, climbing the stairs to the bridge, you can decide whether to go to the observation deck or walk around the island. At the beginning of the island is an amusement park, go on beaches, summer coffee at the end of the island is a nudist beach.

In the park of Shevchenko but the observation deck you can find the Vorontsov Palace, the summer concert venue, nightclub, café, playground, go-karting track, as well as simple paths of the park with benches, where you can relax after a long walk.

On the territory of the city except Shevchenko Park has many other parks, as well as the most visited park is the park Globa. The park Globa you can find an amusement park, Dolphinarium, the summer amphitheater, a pond with fountains, which you can swim, rent a boat or a catamaran, a children's railway and karting track.

Full article:

…blogspot.com/2010/03/travel-to-dnepropetrov…

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Hi Olexandres :)

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for this great contribution. I’m adding it to the Top Questions about Ukraine as Dnipropetrovsk attractions.

Hope to see your further posts on Dniepropetrovsk.

Dnipropetrovsk...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Where to stay while traveling in Dnepropetrovsk.

Before the trip except on the question as to reach the destination, the question arises, where to stay when you arrive in Dnepropetrovsk. This question is desirable to decide in advance for two reasons. The first reason is if you're planning a trip to Dnipropetrovsk during Euro 2012 is coming to town during the championship, you risk not finding a free hotel. The second reason is if you still find free number, then its price will be much higher than if you booked it in advance.

There are two ways to stay in the city at night, to rent a room in a hotel or apartment rented apartment. Web sites of the city of Dnepropetrovsk hotels can be found on the Internet. Unfortunately not all the hotels of our city have an English version.

The list of those that I found, I quote below.

http://www.sunray.dp.ua/eng/

bartolomeo.com.ua/en/…

www.grand-hotel-ukraine.dp.ua/?lang=eng

http://www.parkhotel.dp.ua/eng/index.html

grand-hotel-european.com.ua/index_eng.html

http://www.academia.dp.ua/eng/

http://www.diana-hotel.com.ua/

http://hotel.dp.ua/home/en.html

http://hotel.vostoc.com/en_index.html

http://www.dneprhotel.com/EN/index.html

The second option is the daily rent of apartments, its advantages are the low price compared to hotels, apartments can be rented anywhere in the city with different number of rooms. Find an apartment being rented out as possible through the Internet. The drawback is that most websites ads are written in Russian or Ukrainian languages.

Site with ads in English:

www.arenda-dnepr.com.ua/indexenglish.html

http://dneprhouse.com/en-index.html

http://rentaflat.dp.ua/eng-index.html

rent-apartments.dp.ua/apartament/index.htm

http://www.dneprapartments.com.ua/?lang=en

http://www.mystay.org/

http://www.apartmentsrent.com.ua/

dneprhotel.dp.ua/ru/dnepropetrovsk-apartment…

-dnepropetrovsk-uk.html

Place

In Dnepropetrovsk have a lot of shopping and entertainment complexes, the largest of these is the Bridge City Center. There you can find a skating rink, bowling, laser battles, cinema, supermarket. A large number of clothing stores, electronics, pet shop, flower shop and other stores. A large number of cafes, bars and restaurants. According to recent statistics it is the most visited shopping center in Ukraine. Bridge City Center is located in the center of Dnepropetrovsk.

In Bridge City Center in the city there are other commercial and entertainment complexes. Shopping complex Duffy has a cinema, electronics stores, supermarkets, bars and restaurants. Shopping complex Babylon has a cinema, electronics stores, supermarkets, bars and restaurants, as well as the ski resort, where you can learn to ski. Shopping complex Mainland has a cinema, electronics stores, supermarket, bars and restaurants. Shopping complex Caravan has a skating rink, electronics stores, supermarket, bars and restaurants. Shopping Complex Apollo has stores

Electronics, supermarket, bars and restaurants.

Cinema City:

Rodina

Stolarova 1

+380562 35 34 33

Pravda kino

Pravda 86

+38056 371 42 02

Sich

Panikahi 59

+380562 31 19 90

Kommunar

Kommunarovskaya 2 - B

+380562 35 29 37

If you do not like going to the cinema in the shopping malls, you can choose one of these cinemas.

Football stadiums of the city: Meteor, Dnipro arena. The main football games are taking place on the new Dnipro arena, it is more spacious than the Meteor, and meets all international soccer standards

Cultural and historical sites.

In our city you can visit the diorama devoted to the Battle of the Dnieper. Near the diorama is a historical museum, as well as museum Yavornyts'kogo.

Transfiguration Cathedral located in a park located in museums, it is the birthplace of the city. When planning the cathedral was planned that he will be the largest cathedral in Europe. However, the plans were not implemented, from the idea remained only a foundation on which the cathedral now stands.

Also visitors to the city worth visiting monument of Eternal Glory. The monument is situated on a hill, which serves as a viewing platform on the Dnieper. Summer weekend at the monument come the newlyweds, to lay flowers.

Lovers of cultural activities should visit one of the theaters in our city. Creek is one of the most popular theaters in the theater is only one actor, but his talent is so great that tickets for the performance sold out at several weeks in advance.

Theatre Creek

Karla Libknehta 1

+3 80562 32 46 18

Equally popular is the Youth Theatre Verim. Their performances are always a pleasure to watch.

Theatre Verim

Naberegnaja Pobedi 5

+3 8056 790 99 31

There is also the

Drama Theatre, Shevchenko

Lenina 5

+3 8056 778 55 55

Organ and Chamber Music,

Kalinina 66

+ 3 8056 374 16 55

Opera and Ballet Theatre,

Karla Marksa 72 - А

+ 3 8056 778 44 69

Drama Theatre Gorky.

Karla Marksa 97

+ 3 8056 778 48 69

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Just one major warning regarding getting to Dnepr from Kyiv presently. I strongly recommend avoiding getting there by car at any cost unless you have a tank or any other armoured vehicle!

We’re just back from this road trip – there are NO roads between the two cities, especially on the part running through Poltavska oblast; small part of the rout passing by Dnipropetrovska oblast is more or less fine (but not in Dneprodzerzhinsk!).

We took E40 then P52 via Reshetilovka on the way to Dnepr and went by H08 via Kremenchug and Zolotonosha on the way back. Each way is equally bad, the roads being totally damaged or fully covered with ample deep and wide holes that you merely can’t escape all.

It took us more than 7 hours to drive these 455km (+/-), and the rare opportunity to speed up to 90kmh was like a blessing. There are some spots where the speed dropped to 17kmh and the only movement was possible by the roadside (shoulder). Driving looked like we moved by a mountain serpentine road or were heavy practicing at the wheel handling simulator, with lots of forced entries to the opposite lane.

I don’t know if they manage to do anything with it closer to EURO 2012, but if you plan to visit Ukraine in 2010, DO take an express train to get to Dnepr from Kyiv, don’t kill your car and your nerves.

Dnipropetrovsk...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Wow! Thanks for your post . . . I saw it after I posted mine about the top ten sites. I have a strange question (or maybe not so strange): Where can I buy a cheap pair of sweat pants? You know, loose-fitting exercise pants?

One more questions - is there any type of flea market in DP? Like an outdoor swap meet with people selling their different wares, not only fruit and veg?

Thanks much!

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

A belated reply this,

But does it not look as though Dnipropetrovsk has missed out on the Euro 2012 business as the matches will be played in Kiev,Kharkov,Donetsk & Lviv.

I suppose it was only right that one of the venues should be in Western Ukraine (& Lviv is next to Poland) & unless they fail to get the money together to build the new stadium it looks like Dnipropetrovsk will have missed out.

The roads between Kiev & Dnipropetrovsk are indeed terrible & full of potholes although they are repairing them as the summer goes on. The best way to travel is by coach & Ukrbus, Gunsel, & Autolux all do the journey. It is inexpensive & nearly as quick as going by car (as the coach does stop 3 or 4 times). Plus it also saves being stopped & fined by the traffic police as happened to my taxi driver once ( that probably severely depleted his profit for the job ) & with the state of the roads I did wonder if the Daewoo was going to make there !

Also going by coach is about a tenth of the price of flying there (from Kiev), but I suppose it depends if you have the time (plus I have also had a flight cancelled in winter).

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Hi Bev :)

I wonder what your taxi driver actually did to be stopped by the police - had Kyivan numbers and taxi sign perhaps? ;)

When I drove there a month ago, it was nearly impossible to exceed the speed limit with that quality of roads! I remember we were joking that the road police officers must be starving there. They were mainly needed when yet another truck rolled-over.

Yes, they do some "spotted road maintenance" there. But in my firm opinion this is useless on this particular road; it won't last. This whole staff has to be removed and paved anew. Hope to see it done one day!

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Hello Cora, I will tell you the story.

I had already missed a flight two days earlier from Dnepropetrovsk to Kiev as the road had been blocked by an accident & then the traffic was too heavy in Dnepropetrovsk because with all the snow the road was not wide enough for the lorries to get past so a couple of days later I got a taxi from Verhnedneprovsk as it was cheaper than flying. The road to Kremenchug was covered in snow so you couldnt see the ruts but the other side of Kremenchug the roads were clear. There must have been a short section with a good surface which is why the police were there with a speed gun & the driver saw them to late. He was pulled over & had to get his documents out but I never saw any money change hands then. The last 100 km the road surface is good & as you reach this there is a large roundabout with a police station on it. The driver got pulled in again there & after getting his documents out he came back to car & got 200hr out. I dont know what he got fined altogether or why he was pulled over the second time but it might have meant he was working for nothing or very little that day.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

Thank you for the story, Beverley :)

9. Re: Travel to Dnipropetrovsk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Dnipropetrovsk