We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Hello everyone I am travelling to Donetsk on my own and as a single woman I am concerned i will be there for 4 nights and i would like to make sure it is a safe place to travel alone.

Northampton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Just beware of over friendly men, rest i reckon you will have a fab time :) myself visiting in Oct as well, had a previous trip last year which was proper fun ...... hope you get the best out ;)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Thanks very much Dee should be ok with that i'm going to watch football but well i will be there for 3 days after most of my fellow fans have left so just wanted to make sure is safe etc.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Hello Sarah C and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

It is very well worthy to apply the usual common sense rules and approach that you would in any large city (that Donetsk is) and in unknown environment.

Other than that there is not much special about Donetsk to be worried about. Dunno – avoid drunken companies perhaps..

And learn some Russian words to get around easier – English is still not largely spoken in the city (except in the hotels).

Enjoy your stay!

Tbilisi, Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Hi everyone,

I had the same concern about the Donetsk but as I will be alone for just one day I don't think to be in a much trouble.

My concern is going back home - my flight is yearly in the morning 6:40 so I'll have to book a taxi when it will a night. Cora_v can you tell me which Taxi to call to be safe ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Thank you very much for your advice i arrive very late in the evening but i am being collected by the people that i am renting an apartment from at the airport which is good. And will just try and be careful when i am around. Not sure about learning russian though but will give it a go

Thanks

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Hi Bavshvi and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

Well, I'd say any official taxi should be safe.

If you are staying in a hotel, I'm sure they can help you with calling a cab for the desired time.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 19:39
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

Hi Sarah,

Well, as I said it will merely be easier for you to get around, if you master some basics. No one expects you to start speaking fluently :)

Most of the street signs and establishment titles will be written in Russian, so it helps to at least know how to differ a bank sign from a restaurant ;)

8. Re: Is Donetsk safe for a woman travelling on her own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Donetsk