We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donetsk to Zaporozhye

Bursa, Turkey
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Donetsk to Zaporozhye

What's the best way to travel from Donetsk to Zaporozhye?

Train? Bus? if so where can I book it? And what is the price range? If I can use the train do you know how can I book it?

Thanks in advance whoever replies this topic.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

Hello EminxKaya and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

You could take an Intercity #177 train; it will take you about 3hrs to get to Zaporizhzhya by it.

Here's the trains' time-table: http://tinyurl.com/oyuh2jr (there is also one sleeper on this rout). Note that time-tables change seasonally; so you may want to check it closer to your departure.

And here you can check the train tickets' prices and book tickets on-line: http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/ (choose Donetsk and Zaporizhzhya 1, respectively).

There are also lots of daily buses and mini-buses (marshrutka’s) on this rout bus.com.ua/cgi-bin/poshuk… (some of them can be booked on-line). But it takes about 3.5-5hrs one-way by bus/mini-bus, depending on the rout. Intercity train will be the fastest option.

Have a safe trip!

Bursa, Turkey
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

Thanks Cora_v!

I think I'll choose the bus; cause there's no train suitable for me (especially THAT day) it's just my luck I guess.

Thanks for helping me out.

By the way; Some friends tell me that I need to be extra cautious in Ukraine, they said some people doesn't have good attentions with tourists.

I'm not sure if that's correct but bribery is really common I've also heard.

I'm a student.. but noone can understand that of course. Tourist is equal to potential money.

Anyhow; I hope that I'm not right.

I'd be appreciate if you keep me informed.

Thanks in advance.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

Extra cautious? No.

Cautious - yes; as you would have been in ANY unknown environment.

Tourists rarely come across with bribery as such (except if they decide to drive) in Ukraine as this is more of a residents' "entertainment". And tourism is not that developed in Ukraine as to see in any foreigner a money bag and nothing else.

But there surely are the typical safety concerns to keep in mind; nothing I can think of are specific to Ukraine only. Many of them have beed discussed in this forum before, have a look at Top Questions about Ukraine and specifically FAQ: Ukraine - How Safe? in the upper right corner of Ukraine forum page tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294473-i3662-Ukra…

Also, you might care to read through our Trip reports collection: tripadvisor.com/…28348864

Some safety tips and warnings have been mentioned in these, too.

If you have any other or specific concerns, please, feel free to ask.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

I got the impression that tourists are so rare in eastern Ukraine that organized scamming and bribing does not exist. However, my driver in Luhansk told me that a French woman was mugged in a poor neighborhood of the city because she was walking alone after dark. That neighborhood had no street lights and had not been improved since the Soviet era. The Soviet hammer and sickle symbol was still hanging from the telephone poles...

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

Oh please. Let us not substitute definitions! Was that because she was a tourist and a French? I seriously doubt it. I wouldn't dare walk in poor neighbourhood of Luhansk on my own after dark either. Any female with the brains in her head, not feathers, is well aware of these basic rules of safety.

(And what does it have to do with Donetsk, anyways?)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

The woman was a client of my driver who decided to use a streetcar one day. She obviously didn't understand the risk of her environment. My point was that Ukrainian cities can be (unexpectedly) different than cities in other countries. Sorry if this is irrelevant.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 20:35
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

>>> My point was that Ukrainian cities can be (unexpectedly) different than cities in other countries.

Msambors, you know I respect your experience and always greatly appreciate all your valuable contributions to Ukraine forum. But as a seasoned solo female traveller I simply cannot agree with this statement - moreover that you have yourself described the situation as a typical "red flag case" in any country: solo woman - walking after dark - in a poor neighbourhood (of a specific enough city, I'd add).

I however fully agree with this: "She obviously didn't understand the risk of her environment". But was it specific to Ukraine? No.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 20:46
8. Re: Donetsk to Zaporozhye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Donetsk