We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
11 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas

Hello and thank you.

I am traveling to Donetsk January 24 to 29 and wanted to do a couple of romantic dates with my girlfriend there in the middle of our journey. I was looking for ideas for mid day and then in the evening. A picnic is out, it is January! I thought maybe a lunch combined with something special. We like pretty much everything, museums, food, Opera, walks and fun activities (karaoke, bowling, horse riding etc).

It is our anniversary on the 24th and I will also be going to a nice restaurant at night with maybe some dancing if I can find a place.

I would like something reasonable, but am not adverse to paying more if it is a very good idea.

I appreciate your assistance. Oh, have been around Ukraine serveral times but never to Donetsk. Girlfriend speaks and reads Russian fluently.

Dan

5 replies to this topic
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas

Man,

You most definitely picked a wrong tome for your Donetsk dating travel :). Donetsk, especially central part, is gorgeous in summer time, however really depressing during winter. Basically there is nothing to do outside, all your activities will be inside. One of my favorite places is a small bakery called Celentano (Italian pastries, torts, and so on). Also make sure to visit John Hughes Brewery. Great local beer and Ukrainian food. On a cultural side, they have decent art museum, theaters (depending on your level of Russian). There is a shipping and entertainment center called Donetsk City with some indoor activities as well.

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
11 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas

Thank you. I know the timing could be better but work in beginning of trip dictates timing. So we will make the most of it that we can. I will look to the bakery and thought the art museum and opera/ballet (if it has shows) would be nice. I was looking to stay at the Azania Boutique Hotel which looked to have interesting rooms.

Maybe I can just find a market to have a picnic in the room with some music and good conversation, dinner and karaoke or a show at night.

I really appreciate your response.

Dan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas

Hi Dan, I've been to Donetsk twice, but both of those were in the European summer last year, and I was travelling as a solo traveller, so a bit different to what you have planned, but I know where some good places are. I can't really help you with where to eat and drink in a romantic setting, but there are plenty of beautiful places to walk around for a touch of romance (depending on the weather!)

Forged Figures Park would be at the top of the list, some of the figures have a romantic touch to them, and the park itself has a romantic feel, even more so when the fairy lights are on. Around the corner from here is Artema Street, and again it's a beautiful setting, looking at old building, water features, and the iron roses. I've seen pictures of this at night time with snow, and it looks superb.

Shcherbakov Park (which if my memory is correct, is down south of the city) is a perfect setting for romantic walks, though I was there by myself in summer, I'm sure it would look just as good in winter. Be sure to take a lock with you to lock on to the bridge for never ending love!

The other perfect places for a romantic walk would be both Shevchenko and Pushkin Boulevards. Where Shevchenko ends, Pushkin starts, and I'm sure these boulevards would look beatuful in winter with the snow around. Lenin Square and the park connected to it can also be a nice spot for romanitc settings.

I hope these ideas helped you

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
11 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas

David, Thank you. Some great ideas which I will certainly look to do. We will have fun no matter the weather and the parks and sculptures seem a fun walk as well. With maybe an impromptu snowball fight in between!

Which can lead up to the bakery for sometime hot and soothing as well.

I appreciate your time and advice.

Dan

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas

Hi Dan and welcome to Ukraine forum!

Once you are into Opera, don't miss Donbass Opera

donbassopera.com/ru/afisha.html… (please, google-translate). Out of all of your dates, Turandot looks most interesting to me.

P.S. So far there's no snow, so don't hold your breath for a snow fight ;-p

Reply to: Donetsk, end of January, 2014 - Looking for great date ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Donetsk