We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

hoping to drive up via umm al Quwain and Ras al Khaimah to Khasab. Any info about current visa requirements/prices for british passport holders and is a british (rather than international) driving licence ok for this?

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

I have found this price on a tour website - is this current price for UAEexit/Oman entry at this border

UAE Tourist Visa Holders: US $65 (AED 235) per person

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

The 235AED is for entry to Oman. You will also have to pay 35AED per person to leave the UAE at the border and 150AED for 5 days (min) car insurance. If you are a tourist your UK driving licence will be OK. Make sure you take your passports with you.

Edited: 13 March 2011, 17:38
ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

if the car is covered insurancewise for driving in Oman (will either be private or dubai hire car) do you still have to pay at the border extra for this - I presume i will have to take the car docs/proof of insurance when driving anywhere.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

Make sure the car hire company know you intend to go to Oman and it's permitted.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

The car (private or hire) will have it's own credit card type vehicle license. This card holds the insurance policy details. This card must be, by law, with the vehicle at all times. You will need to produce this at the border or you will not be allowed entry with the car. Make sure you know where it is. It is normally kept in the fold down eye shade. If the car is private it may have insurance to go into Oman but most (including mine) do not. It depends on the insurance company. Hire cars do not normally have the Oman insurance but you need to inform the hire company that you intend to take it across. Even if the hire company say the car is covered be prepared (and don't argue) to pay the insurance!! After all.....this is the UAE.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 03:53
ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

sounds like some other places i've driven in...... I suppose 150AED is not exactly breaking the bank for 'peaceof mind'!

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

the answer to the original question (from recent trip) is

- variable price quoted for the extra insurance depending on company/length of hire but paid 200AED to add it on at time of hire. This gives you a certificate letter valid for the time period which with the 'plastic registration card' caused no problems. The only thing to be wary of was my carhire company had the condition that if anything happened in Oman I had to pay to repatriate the car to Dubai - not sure if this is a standard condition.

- 35AED each to leave UAE at border post , free tourist visa on way back.

- 200AED (20 OMR) each for tourist visa entry for Oman at border post. This costs less for UAE resident visa holders.

Unfortunately the above makes it an expensive day trip which may be why there werent a lot of people on the dhows. If like us you are planning on spending longer then it is definitely worth it. All day dhow cruise with soft drinks, tea/coffee, water, lunch and equipment (we took our own kit though) with www.dolphintour.net cost us 200AED each for adults and 100AED for kids. We stayed at the Golden Tulip as it was easier to reserve online but the Khasab Hotel (http://www.dolphintour.net/khotel.html ) looked like a viable alternative - it just had a fiddly booking system that required a deposit to a UAE bank which I presume wouldnt be a problem if you are UAE resident.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

Thanks for the update Ada....how was the trip? Did you stop in RAK?

A lot of people are now using Dibba for the dhow cruise as although you technically cross the border to Oman there are no charges. Shame really because the Khasab trip is so much more better.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 14:05
ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

the trip was great thanks. The driving was easy once you left the madness that is Dubai, and roads/signage excellent - apart from the Shams road bit of RAK. There were not a lot of signs to confirm that this was the right road to the border but as the mountains were on the right side it seemed right. Also this road had terrible potholes on the slow (righthand) lane through RAK city so better to keep in the fast lane to avoid these and the lorries, but that tends to make the 'posh' cars irate!!! Once past the big cement factory the road was better again.

We drove from Dubai to Fujairah (just over an hour from Bypass Road including short stop at 'Friday market' ) . We then headed up the coast road stopping at Khor Fakkan and staying at the Holiday Beach Motel near Dibba. This is a low key beachside chalet type hotel good for snorkelling and room service. From there we went back across mountains to RAK then up to Khasab. The border crossing took about 40mins for formalities on both sides, and the drive up to Khasab is very scenic (reminiscent of adriatic coast road near Pag island). We stayed in Golden Tulip as it was easier to book, and did the Dhow cruise as detailed above - which was a really good day out. The border crossing on the way back was a bit longer on the UAE side as we were unfortunate to pitch up when the tours were going back. Stayed a couple of days in RAK creek Hilton - a very acceptable option as it gives you free access (via shuttle) to the Hilton Beach Club Hotel and Spa, so you get the best of both (at a lower rate!!). Didnt have time to explore RAK properly so that will be for next visit. Thanks for your tips on border post swrxp47 as wouldnt have had a clue! Link for pics https:/…

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: current visa rules for trip to khasab, musandam via RAK

Just got back from Musandam today. We booked the Golden Tulip and dhow cruise through Khasab Tours, whom we've used before. The hotel was slightly cheaper when booked through this agency than if you book it directly online at the hotel's own website - we paid 500 aed per night instead of 550. Another local tour agency I contacted quoted us 950aed per night for the same room!

I've stayed in the Khasab hotel before and wouldn't really recommend it if you will be spending much time in the hotel, ok though for a place just to sleep.

The dhow trip was, as usual, fantastic. Endless offers of soft drinks and water, fruit available anytime and tasty, filling lunch. Use of snorkelling kit was 20aed each but we knew this in advance and took our own.

The dhows are very comfortable with Persian rugs and floor cushions so you can just stretch out and relax. We had pods of dolphins playing alongside the boat on four seperate occasions, the last time ten of them.. Much better than seeing the poor creatures incarcerated in Dubai pools.

As mentioned above, exit from UAE is 35aed, entry into Oman is 200aed for non residents, 50aed for UAE residents.

I can't recommend this trip enough!