We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Hello Everyone

We will be staying at the Ras Al Khaimah Resort and Spa at the end of Oct 12 for 5 nights. This is our first trip to the UAE and we are keen to fit in as much as possible. The hotel looks lovely but now I am concerned due to it being 1.5 hrs journey from Dubai that we may be too far away!

I read in a review that we can hire a taxi for 10hrs for £150 which seems reasonable and I'm thinking we could visit Dubai and maybe have afternoon tea at the Burj during the time.

Does anyone have any idea of how much a taxi would cost from our hotel to the Atlantic or any suggestions re: the cheapest option of getting to experience the most during our stay.

Changing hotels is NOT an option but for future reference maybe I did not choose the best location.. although we got a great deal with Virgin!

Any advice is appreciated.. what else should we definitely not miss during our 5 days?

2 female friends travelling - mid 30's!

Many thanks

Helen

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

A taxi from the hotel to Atlantis would cost around 200AED and a return taxi would cost around 300AED (Dubai taxis are more expensive than RAK taxis). When you take into account the cost of taxis to run you about when in Dubai your best option would be to hire a RAK taxi and keep him for the day. He would act as your personal chauffeur for the day. The cost would be around 700AED (£130) and he will take you wherever you want to go and wait for you. There are always local taxis waiting outside the hotel or I may be able to provide you with some numbers.

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Many thanks for your response swrxp47.

I assume local taxi's would be cheaper than arranging one with the hotel so if you have any numbers that would be great.

Do you think we'd need to allow a whole day for the Atlantis dolphin/water park experience to get our monies worth? as another suggestion was that we take the free hotel shuttle if possible to I think 'Deira in Dubai' then taxi to Atlantis.

Best use of personal chauffeur would definitely be to take us to several places in Dubai and not just have him sat waiting outside for 4/5 hrs.

Do you know if Atlantis or Al Burj is closer to our hotel?

What else would you suggest we did not miss whilst in RAK/Dubai?

regards,

Helen

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Hi Babystar, a local taxi would be HALF the price than one arranged by the hotel. The downside with the hotel bus is that it does not leave the hotel until around 9:30/10am and has been known to be late!!! The other downside is that it leaves Dubai around 5pm. I believe the drop off/ pickup point is Festival City Shopping Mall which is located on the "RAK side" of Dubai. The Burj al Arab is a "little" closer than Atlantis but only because Atlantis is out on The Palm. Can't comment on how long to spend at the water park as I have never done it but it is going to take a good one and a half hours (possibly more depending on traffic) to get from the resort to Atlantis...you could not have picked two further points apart !!!! If it was me I would use a RAK taxi, go straight to the water park, afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab, then Dubai Mall for the Burj Khalifa and fountains and then back to RAK. If possible try and do this on a Friday as it will be a non working day and the roads will be quiet...any other day and you are going to meet heavy traffic at Sharjah both ways. Why don't you post a question on the Dubai forum and ask if the itinerary is doo-able...you will get lots of answers.

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Many thanks swrxp47. I am not sure we'll be able to fit it all in one day and get to fully enjoy it but from other reviews and responses to question posted in 'dubai' forum also we will definitely do the BAA, Mall and BA Khalifa on the same day.

Unfortunately we arrive on a Saturday and leave early hours Thurs morning.

It's looking likely we'll go on a Monday and then maybe Atlantis on the Wednesday.

regards,

Helen

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

I think that's wise, but remember that the fountain show at Dubai Mall does not normally start until early evening and the hotel bus returns too early for you to see them.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Just read a review on the hotel (TA) that may interest you, it's the one dated 29th Feb 12 by Picard 103. The response from the management says that the resort offers a bus going 4 times a week into Dubai. It drops the guests off at the Dubai Mail where you can enjoy Burj Khalija tower and fountain show etc. It doesn't give any other info but certainly sounds ok! We are going in 4 weeks so will post any info when we return

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Many thanksswrxp47.. I was not clear and was meant to say that we are going to get the shuttle from the hotel into Dubai (I e-mailed them and they told me it goes on Sat/Mon/Wed/Fri's and leaves at 0845 returning 1730)... but then get a taxi home after the fountain show and more shopping as recommended by Latimer.

Do you have any idea of the the taxi cost from the shuttle drop off to BAA and Atlantis, and also time duration of journey?

I've been told it's 300 AED from Atlantis back to hotel.

Can we walk from drop off to Burj Khalija?

many thanks

Helen

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Many thanks Graham ... I will take a look and it will be great to get update after your trip.

Have a fantastic holiday :-)

regards,

Helen

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

They must have changed the drop-off point from Festival City to Dubai Mall quite recently then. If they do drop off at Dubai Mall then you can walk quite easliy to Burj Khalifa. The ticket office for the Burj Khalifa is on the Lower ground floor of the Mall but you are best advised to pre-book an ascent time:

burjkhalifa.ae/language/en-us/observation-de…

If you do pre-book you need to take with you thr credit card used for the booking.

Taxi from Dubai Mall to Burj Al Arab around 45/50AED and takes around 20 minutes in a taxi. Atlantis add another 15/20 minutes and maybe 40/45AED or therabouts. 300AED sounds about right (could be a little more) as it is around 250AED from the airport to the resort and you are further away at Atlantis. I will call into the resort tomorrow to confirm those bus schedules and that private taxi hire.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Ok, here is the latest info straight from the horses mouth !!!

The hotel runs a bus into Dubai four times a week on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun. It departs the hotel at 8:45 with drop-off/pick-up at Dubai Mall. The bus returns at 17:30. This bus is available to all guests at a cost of 100AED per guest. There is a second bus run only for guests of Virgin Holidays. This bus leaves twice a week on Sun/Wed at 11:00 and the drop-off/pick-up point is Diera City Centre (old part of Dubai). The bus returns at 16:00. This bus is free for Virgin guests and is "subject to availability" and comes on a first come first served basis. There is a free evening shuttle for all guests to Manar Mall................. "Ras al Khaimahs Ultimate Shopping Experience".

The resort also has private driver vehicles for hire. Eight hours hire for 650AED with an extra 50AED for every additional hour. This is for a maximum of three persons. These cars are very modern, comfortable and have a/c.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 09:15