We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Which Ras Al Khaimah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Hi. We are 4 adults arriving 10th Sept for 8 nights with a Virgin holidays package. We would love to visit Dubai City and see the sights in the day and experience Dubai in the evening also.

What is the best way to arrange this and do you have any idea of the cost? Are there any days to avoid as we would like to experience Burj Khalifa whilst there.

Any tips would be much appreciated...thanks!

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

As a Virgin Holiday traveller there is a free bus once a week into Dubai. It is booked on a first come first served basis. The bus will drop and pick up at the Diera shopping centre. The Hotel also runs a bus twice a week into Dubai which is chargeable at 100AED per person. This bus drops and pick up at Dubai Mall which is great for shopping, the fountains and Burj Khalifa. No real days to avoid. A Friday is good if you want to avoid traffic but not so good if you want to visit the creek and gold/spice souks as on a Friday they are closed for most of the day.

The other option would be a private hire of a hotel taxi and driver for the day. I was recently quoted 650AED for 8 hours and 50AED for every additional hour. This would be the only way to see the fountains at night as all buses return around 5pm This seemed to me a very good deal.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

You could also engage a metered cab from RAK for a one way trip. Inside Dubai you can use local taxis or Metro or bus. You can take a public transport (bus) back to RAK, or another taxi whenever you want to return to RAK. This is also an option. Distance is about 110 KM on the highway (Emirates Road)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Hi,

Regarding your question , I suggest you to have trio package: Desert safari + dhow Cruise dinner + Dubai city tour. Traveling agencies like keytodubai can operate this tour with the best price.

you can visit the burj khalifa tower any day, depending upon the time available on the date you want to visit.. you can have Tour Burj Khalifa

inclusons are:

• Pickup from your hotel or residence in Dubai.

• Entrance Ticket and Top Observation Deck.

Timing:

Pick Up Time: Depend Upon The Time Slot Available

Drop Off Time: NOT INCLUDED

PRICE: USD 41 Per Adult

Have nice day.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

helsbels0801,

just be aware that Dubai T is offering you a ticket for the Burj Khalifa for £26 which you can buy on-line for £17.

burjkhalifa.ae/observation-deck/ticket-infor…

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Sorry, my hotel information was slightly incorrect. Here is the information from March 2012:

The hotel runs a bus into Dubai four times a week on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun. It departs the hotel at 8:45 with drop-off/pick-up at Dubai Mall. The bus returns at 17:30. This bus is available to all guests at a cost of 100AED per guest. There is a second bus run only for guests of Virgin Holidays. This bus leaves twice a week on Sun/Wed at 11:00 and the drop-off/pick-up point is Diera City Centre (old part of Dubai). The bus returns at 16:00. This bus is free for Virgin guests and is "subject to availability" and comes on a first come first served basis. There is a free evening shuttle for all guests to Manar Mall................. "Ras al Khaimahs Ultimate Shopping Experience".

The resort also has private driver vehicles for hire. Eight hours hire for 650AED with an extra 50AED for every additional hour. This is for a maximum of three persons. These cars are very modern, comfortable and have a/c.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Thanks for your messages. The private hire option seems the best value especially as we don't really know what we want to see in Dubai other than the fountains(I'm starting research tomorrow!!). Just one question, would the not accomodate 4 passengers? Seems a shame if we have to pay twice? Would Dubai taxis have the same rule, just wondering if it would be best to get the virgin bus there then a local Dubai taxi to bring us home??

swrxp47 - as you seem to be very much "in the know", the dress code for evening meals in the Hilton for gents....are they ok to wear jeans and a smart shirt and trainers / pumps or does it have to be trousers and smart shoes?

Many thanks

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Yes, I am also surprised it says " 3 passengers" as we regularly go out as foursome in Ras al Khaimah and Dubai and 4 passengers is the norm. We also use the Hiltons' taxis and 4 persons is no problem. I would question that one when you arrive.

If you do decide on a "private hire" my personal recommendation for a short would be to first go the gold and spice souks. Cross the creek on an abra (small ferry) at a cost of 1AED per person is the best value ride in the UAE! Arrange to meet the driver the other side of the creek and explore the material souks. If you want a photo of the Burj al Arab get the driver to go down Jumeriah Beach Road where the is a good spot for a photo on the public beach. From there head for Dubai Mall (hopefully you will have pre-booked your Burj Khalifa tickets). Inside the Mall is a small but good aquarium and shops, shops, shops!! The Burj Khalifa is also here along with the fountains.............just my suggestion.

Jeans and "smart trainers/pumps" are no problem at all. It is my normal attire when I go for a meal at the Hilton.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 19:02
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Many thanks for your quick response!

So do we arrange the taxi with Hilton direct rather than the Virgin rep for the best price?

Your suggestions for the places to visit sound perfect and we will definitely visit those places.

Just one more question....are we best booking our tickets for Burj Khalifa for the 17:30 booking to get the best view of the fountains from above and sunset? Also could you recommend a restaurant to eat in after to then view the fountains?

It's a real challenge trying to make the most of 1 day in the city!

Many thanks again!

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Hi, you organise the taxi with the hotel direct. It is nothing to do with Virgin.

I recommended that itinerary from my own experience of showing vistors around as it gives you a flavour of old Dubai (the Creek) and new Dubai at Dubai Mall. The Creek is my own personal favourite place.

To be honest the best view of the fountains is from the ground floor where there is ample standing viewing spaces and it's free!!! The fountains are not best appreciatted from the Burj Khalifa but they run every half hour so if you wanted to see them from above then go for it as you can watch them again from the ground later. They are also themed to music which you cannot really appreciatte from so high above.

There are many restaurants that line the lakeside. Carluccios, TGI Fridays, Scoozi, Mango Tree to name but a few and there is a bridge to Souk Bahar where there are several lakeside restaurants including Dean & Delucca, Rivington Grill and Urbano.

One thing you need to be aware of is that early September it is still going to be VERY humid in the evenings with temperatures around 35' and you may find it a little uncomfortable to be sat outside for a meal.

If you want some other suggestions for a one day itinerary and suggested eating places you could ask the question on the Dubai forum you will get plenty of answers but you may also start getting confused!!!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai City trip from Ras AI Khaimah Resot & Spa

Many Thanks....some brilliant tips here!!!