We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Hello all,

I am in Dubai and arranging a 2 night get away to RAK and Umm al quwainn.

Here is my itinerary

Monday early morning trip to RAK from Dubai. Is taxi the best way to do this? How much can I expect to pay?

I will be going to the Accacia hotel and this includes two dreamland tickets. What are the must sees in RAK? I was thinking of devoting this day entirely to sight seeing or beaching it as it may be :-)

Tuseday - Spend the morning in RAK (maybe on the beach) and maybe head to dreaml. I ve heard dreamland is in or near Umm al quwainn. Is Dreamland worth staying long at?

Umm al Quwainn doesn t look far from RAK so I would head to umm al quwainn for massage at 7 and dinner in the evening.

Wednesday (9 o’clock mani – pedi) and spend the rest of the day in Umm al quwainn. Any must see things there? Or there may be a separate forum for that.

Thank you so much for any replies in advance.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

RAK is popular for hiking and outdoor pursuits, other than that I don't know of any 'must sees'.

UAQ is has less to offer. Barracuda booze superstore is the biggest draw for expats - apart from Dreamland which is next door. UAQ also has very friendly helpful policemen but hopefully you won't meet any of those.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Hi Luckangel, depending where you leave from in Dubai but a taxi will cost around 200AED to the Arcacia hotel. A cheaper way would be to get the bus from near Union Square to RAK. The fare is 25AED. If you tell the driver you are going to Al Hamra (location of The Arcacia) he will hopefully make the diversion for Al Hamra. He may already have passengers who want to go to Al Hamra as RAK Ceramics is located there. If he doesn't make the diversion, a taxi from the bus stop will cost around 50AED The Arcacia Hotel is in the middle of an industrial area and is mainly used by business men (and Russian entertainers). They used to have an arrangement with the Al hamra Fort Hotel to use the beach but I am not sure if this is still the case as the Al Hamra Fort is currently being taken over by the Hilton group.

When you say spend the morning on the beach in RAK just be aware that the public beaches in RAK have no facilities whatsoever.

Sightseeing in RAK is difficult without your own transport. You could take a taxi to the old town, spend an hour in the fort/museum, take a walk through the souks of Kuwati Street and take a stroll down the corniche.

Dreamland is one of the older, but nicer small waterparks where you could spend a pleasant half a day. They also serve alcohol if that is your thing.

Not quite sure where you would get dinner and a massage in Umm al Quainn but also be advised that taxis are very rare in Umm al Quiann.

Not quite sure what you are looking for in UAQ. Most of things of any interest are at the far end of the peninsular where there is a small museum/fort that you will be lucky to find open and nearby is a small section of fortified towers and walls that have been renovated. Close by are some old boatyards.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Forgot to mention, as part of your tour of RAK you could visit the abandoned "ghost" fishing village:

thenational.ae/news/uae-news/the-village-tha…

They are trying in a "Ras al Khaimah" sort of way to make the village a heritage centre. Don't expect too much but it does give you a glimpse of the not so far away past. It is just up the road from Al Hamra on the way to RAK City.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Sorry should have mentioned we are going to UAQ as part of a groupon spa retreat. Massage and mani/pedi are included in the package. All I have to do is get to Um al quwainn from RAK. Would dreamland be closer?

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Dreamland is sort of in no-mans land.....on the border of RAK and Umm al Quwainn. If you decide to go to Dreamland I am sure the reception would call you a taxi for your onward journey into deepest, darkest UAQ.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Sounds intriguing! Well I need a break from Dubai and this does sound like quite a little adventure :-)

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

It will be different for you that's for sure......but I think it's nice to see the other side of the UAE, so near in terms of distance but so far away in terms of development. I live in RAK and love it but also love the monthly foray into Dubai.

Don't you drive? That would be a good idea and the driving up here is easy.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 07:18
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

Ive only just got my visa so I have to work on getting my UAE license exchanged and build up my stamina and confidence before I hit the roads of Dubai :-)

9. Re: RAK and Umm Al Quwainn for 2 nights and 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 16:19